"El Whatever"

Magura Phaon - Impressions out of the box

HI everyone!!

I just got this baby from Magura boys... thanks Jimi and Tigerdog!

Specs are as follow:
    - 90 to 125mm travel (approx. 8 turns - around 4.5mm per turn). Spring rate increases with travel reduction, which is good.
    - Adjustable rebound (16 clicks), compression (I haven't counted the clicks) and preload
    - Coil sprung, open bath
    - Axle to crown 505mm (as predicted by Magura and measured at home)
    - 30mm stanchions, hard anodized
    - Corrosion protectors at brake mount eyelets and dropouts

Craftmanship is top notch. From the best I've seen and that includes some Zokes, Fox and Manitous and Rock Shox. Attention to detail is incredible. Paint is awesome... like the one on a Beemer. The only piece of plastic at the exterior of the fork is the preload dial. Other than that, all are anodized aluminum.

Yeah, steer tube is machined....

Activating the Flight Control (travel adjuster) is a bit tough on the last three turns but easy extending the fork or the first five turns to compress it.

I haven't finished installation and I can't put up a ride review... but I wanted to share my impressions with you... and my impressions are good.

Tire clearance with WTB Motoraptors 2.4 is good. It looks like a 2.5 would fit in there, even when Magura says it can only take 2.35's.

Crown is bolted to the stanchions... which can be a curse or a blessing, but I find it good. I don't feel like playing around with the bolts for a long, long time.

It's a bit porky at nearly 2.0 kilos... but it felt a sloghtly bit lighter than a Zoke MX Pro 105 a buddy of mine just got.

More to come as I get some saddle time with it.

Pic 1 - My Warp at 110mm setting (where it will prolly spend most of time)
    Pic 2 - Machined head tube
    Pic 3 - Tire clearance with a Motoraptor 2.4
    Pic 4 - Detail of the reinforcement on the casting for the brake mounts. This fork can take discs up to 203mm
    Pic 5 - Detail of stanchions and crown... note the bolted union and the tire clearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Mo' pics....

Pic 1 - Attention to details... Magura style
    Pic 2 - Complete Fork
    Pic 3 - Uppers
    Check my Site

Freshly Fujified

Nice looking fork

Could be that you have a well kept secret there, bro. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts once you've had it out on the trail. Keep us posted.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    You're making me jealous! I can't wait till I get my Asgard. I can't wait for a ride report. We're supposed to get snow all week. i don't think I will be able to ride for while when I do get my fork. So, keep me posted.........
    Tony

Now with 3 more inches!
    So there should be a "slightly used" SR Suntour in the classifieds now, right?

That Magura's already got some serious miles on it. It's been to Dallas, Chihuahua, Copper Canyon and the Baja!

Can't wait to see it out on the trails. Have you figured out who's installing it yet?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdog
    So there should be a "slightly used" SR Suntour in the classifieds now, right?
    SR Suntour for SALE !!!

Translation of the title... "Suntour XCP-75 fork for sale - VERY used"

I can give it up for the cause if anyone wants it for a beater... steerer is 195mm (around 7 3/4"), enough for an M or S frame.

That Magura's already got some serious miles on it. It's been to Dallas, Chihuahua, Copper Canyon and the Baja!
    You forgot the trip from the Netherlands to the US, and from IL to Dallas...

Can't wait to see it out on the trails. Have you figured out who's installing it yet?
    I guess I'm installing it myself. I'll get a pipe cutter or nice hacksaw.

The lower headset race just slipped in place. Not loose but not tight enough either. It's beaten up and crooked... part of the horrid installation job that was made on the Suntour. Not to mention, my headset is shot.

I'll install it that way while I get a headset replacement. The preload on the bearings will keep the fork safe but it will shorten the life of the headset drastically.

Freaking wrenches... is that hard to make a simple fork installation??
    Check my Site

not so super...
    Warp - glad to see the Suntour off your bike . Have you pulled the Magura apart yet to see what makes it tick?

Are those drop-out faces replaceable or are they rivited in place? Nice touch on the machined disc tabs so they don't need to be faced.
    Nothing to see here.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Warp - glad to see the Suntour off your bike . Have you pulled the Magura apart yet to see what makes it tick?

Are those drop-out faces replaceable or are they rivited in place? Nice touch on the machined disc tabs so they don't need to be faced.

Thanks SSINGA!!! I'm glad to see that POS going away too...

How that fork hits on your bling-o-meter???

I ahven't taken it apart yet... I just got it from Tigerdog (my personal courier service) yesterday and I have jealous wife and restless kid. So I had no much time to play with it.

However... while going into our offices building, I HAD to put the fork's box thru the security's X-Ray machine... left side is a cart with the spring and travel adjuster, right side is a holds inside a cartridge with two pistons and a spring... pretty much like a Zoke one with the rebound on top and the compression at the bottom. Magura went a step forward and added a compression adjustment dial at the bottom (blue knob).

I can't say if it's shimmed or orifices, though. I'll find it later.

I think the plates are riveted. The explosion drawing doesn't give a P/N for those fasterners, so I assume those are riveted, but I'll doublecheck for you. That is stainless steel... you're not gonna wear it off or rip it. The rivets sit a bit lower than the plate surface.

Think of it like a Vanilla RC with U-turn.

There are some marks on the dropouts that a QR was installed and on the eyelets that a some bolts were put. I ignore it those were Tigerdog's cousins (joking! ) or some testing was made at factory. The rest of the fork is inmaculate, except for a diminute blemish on the "Flight Control" logo. I assume it was some factory testing or assembly.

I'll let you know how the caliper sits with the SS inserts.
    Check my Site

Now with 3 more inches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    There are some marks on the dropouts that a QR was installed and on the eyelets that a some bolts were put. I ignore it those were Tigerdog's cousins (joking! ) or some testing was made at factory. The rest of the fork is inmaculate, except for a diminute blemish on the "Flight Control" logo. I assume it was some factory testing or assembly.
    My nephews just did a few 12' stair gaps to break in the seals for you.

I forgot to mention, that thing also went through 2 separate customs checkpoints and a military drugs inspection after the ferry from Sinaloa to Baja.

not so super...
    Thanks SSINGA!!! I'm glad to see that POS going away too...

How that fork hits on your bling-o-meter???
    That has some bling cred

Just picked up my 66SL - the thing is humongous!!
    Nothing to see here.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Just picked up my 66SL - the thing is humongous!!
    Well... you beated me on the bling dept....
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Just out of curiosity (maybe ignorance), what are this eyelets for?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Just out of curiosity (maybe ignorance), what are this eyelets for?
    No prob... it's a propietary Magura system... they call it Firm-Tech and it's for mounting hydraulic rim brakes (older Magura technology that's still used mainly for Trials)
    Check my Site

No known cure

More info...

No prob... it's a propietary Magura system... they call it Firm-Tech and it's for mounting hydraulic rim brakes (older Magura technology that's still used mainly for Trials)
    I wieghed mine and with a uncut 10" steerer tube, no star nut and swapped out Ti pinch bolts, it comes in at 4.4lbs. The dropout plates are replaceable. Those "rivots are actually 1.5mm Allen bolts. I've had my Phaon for seven months now and I'm still waiting on the frame it's going on. If the fork feels like a Z1, I'll be happy. Let's get some mileage on that thing Warp!
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

"El Whatever"

1st phase of testing... around the block

I just took a spin around the block... all riding that's in for me this weekend. Lame it is, but I couldn't get more riding time.

I'm so happy with the fork so far.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt as I'm coming off from a much lower quality and non-damped fork!

The fork from factory it's oversprung for me with my 65kg (145lbs) weight. The seals (as expected) are very tight.

Rebound does something, not like two manitous I had in the past. A couple clicks (now three from full open) are good enough to keep the fork from boinging.

The fork feels stiff to me and allowed me to take some curbs at unusual angles.

I thought that being oversprung it would feel bad on big bumps... I was wrong. This fork likes to swallow big obstacles. A cleared a couple flight of stairs. One that I had never cleared and one a bit more difficult that I had never attempted. The bike now felt a bit uncontrolled on the rear as the front was firmly planted and steady.

So far, this fork is not plush. It doesn't feel like a Caddy but rather like a Porsche. It doesn't provide much comfort as of now, but gives much of nice handling.

Charging speed bumpers pedalling is a whole new experience to me as the front doesn't bucks me up but just clears the bump. Compression damping is all open now.

Contrary to what I expected, the Flight Control (travel adjustment) is easy to reach and easy to activate on the fly. Just remember that there are 8 complete turns to clear 35mm... I ran it at 110 setting and a bit on the extremes.

Yes, it bobs... but not without control and some can be killed with the compression adjuster, but I don't plan to use much of that. Brake dive is OK.

At 110 travel setting, I used some good 85mm travel not doing crazy stuff.

All in all it feels very good. I can't say 'go out and buy it' because I don't have anything close to benchmark it against. But it sure gives a Vanilla RLC a run for the money.

Magura doesn't gives much info about, but it can be tuned with two other spring rates and it could be tunable like a Zoke via oil weights. So far, I haven't enough testing to justify opening it.
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    I think that what you feel that is not so plush may be that it's new and need to be broken in, give it time. It's so great that you have a new fork. Now change the blue piece of metal between the fork and rear wheel and you have a bike..... j/k

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I think that what you feel that is not so plush may be that it's new and need to be broken in, give it time. It's so great that you have a new fork. Now change the blue piece of metal between the fork and rear wheel and you have a bike..... j/k
    Well... yeah. AFAIK, it will take around 25-30 for them to feel like they should. Even with that, I've read reviews that say those are not as plush as other forks (Zoke, Fox).

Sincerely, I liked it. Even being oversprung and with lots of bushing friction, I loved the control of the stroke and the overall stiffness. Now I noted that my wheel flexes, my rear shock is too fast on rebound and the Motoraptor feels with much more grip.

I liked it on the stairs... which resemble some of the stuff we find on our rides.

As for the blue stuff between the two wheels... I agree with you!!
    UGI, UGI, UGI!!!

Seriously, I need a good rear shock or at least get mine serviced.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I got it mounted up this (My asgard)weekend (Sorry Warp, No Pics yet!) didn't ride it outside but I bounced around in the basement. Standing on it and trying to pedal around the basement!

It's like night and day from my Marz mz comp. No flex and very cool being able to adjust the air pressure. But noticed you really need to break it in. I was getting some sticking with the seals. Can't wait for the snow to stop and get it outside!!!

"El Whatever"

Maiden ride on Phaon

Well.... after I had to send back the fork to Magura due to some clunking noise, they sent me as replacement a '05 black one along with a soft spring for the flight control side of the pair of soft springs I bought. The one for the left side is on backorder, but should be here in some weeks.

Before heading to the trails, I swapped the spring.

It's easy cake. Just remove the lowers from the crown, remove the Flight Control knob with a 1.5mm allen key and then remove the top cap. Swap springs. Reassemble. Done. Top caps are easy to pull out and are made from some real metal as opposed to the Marzocchi's which seem to be made out of putty.

Take note!! The Flight control knob and top cap seem to be able to accept a ball and spring to give the Flight Control "clicks". I'm not totally positive as I haven't checked with a caliper but there are detents on the top cap and a small orifice in the top cap for those duties. Is it worthy?? I don't know. The Flight Control takes 8 complete turns to go from 125 to 90mm... so each turn makes for like 4.5mm or so. There seem to be like 8 clickers... you do the math and tell me how many mm's of travel change is for each click.

The '05 Phaon has grease lubrication on the left side and open-bath on the right one (damper side)... however, they were oil lubed back in '04 and before. Therefore the cartridge bolt at the bottom of the left leg has an o-ring for sealing and there's a groove at the bottom of the Flight Control cartridge where there was an o-ring. Sounds like retrofittable to me. Magura Tech dept. said no grease+oil... but they didn't expressely said no Oil-Only.

Seals are VERY tight and top notch. Comparing them to Zoke's, quality is more less the same or better and they're pretty much tight. All Maggies share the same seals, being the fork air or coil... and their damper is open bath... So, they're tunable for progression by oil height. I'll take care of it once I get the new spring for the right side.

Now... On the trail.

The fork is not plush at all. It doesn't erase the small stuff. There was a point were seals were so tight and dry that they began doing funny noises. It went off as soon as there were some hits to take care of.

However, the stroke is nice and controlled. It does nothing remarkably... it just does everything fine, except small chatter. Weird enough, washboards seemed to be not a problem.

Brake dive is OK as well as rebound. I ran full open compression and two clicks rebound from full open. Once the seals be broken in, maybe I'll need for adjusting all clickers a couple clicks.

Structurally, the fork has a little of fore-aft flex. But this can be due to the small bump sensitivity. That is, as the fork doesn't move over its seals with trail chatter, it rather flex a little (and I mean LITTLE) with the bumps. But when you get on the binders, the fork feels just flex free.

Tracking is nice. This fork it's point a shoot. It's one of the stiffest 30mm forks you may find. Again, when the seals break in , I think the fork will stop flexing and just doing its job.

On big stuff... damn, it feels nice. I don't have nothing to compare it to, but it's confidence inspiring. The fork/bike could go faster than what my brain allowed.

I got 85mm on yesterday's ride, but then, it was not the gnarliest trails we've tried, the fork is still oversprung and I may need to drain a little oil from the damper.

All in all, I still need more tinkering and dialing, but it's a nice no-nonsense fork. And Customer Service is top class.
    Check my Site