Trying to grow a mustache

Magura Laurin 130 Rebuild

Anybody here rebuild a Magura Laurin? Looking for tips, hints, ways to not have it be so leaky but still feel buttery smooth...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

Code Burr
    Yes i've rebuilt one several times. Its pretty straight forward. Check with Chris @ Enduro to see if he has the magura seals yet.

Thanks, I will...
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Really easy to do - same basic design as RS forks.

When you empty the damping chamber (nut on top of right leg), make sure to cycle the fork/damping rod a few times to make sure all of the oil is emptied. Otherwise you'll overfill with oil and blow the seals on a big hit.

Also - if you find the fork a little 'divey', try using 15wt oil in the damping chamber instead of stock (?5wt). It adds a little extra compression damping without having to use the Albert select system, so small bump compliance is maintained.

Adding 23ml of 15wt oil (in total) to the air chamber prevents bottoming out and give a little more ramp-up at the end of the stroke.

Don;t take the AS unit apart as apparently they're a nightmare to put back together!

Use an oral syringe (~5ml) from a pharmacy to squeeze oil into the foam rings.

60min job unless you're doing the seals at the same time.

Which bits of it are leaking ooi?

Thanks for the info, very useful. I got an e-mail from Enduro and it looks like 2 weeks until their Mag seals arrive. Still might go stock. Both sides have been leaky but the left particularly so. With the warmer weather oil is getting down to the caliper. Also, do any of you suggest putting a heavier oil in the air chamber? I've had it lose air on big hits twice ( oddly on the same trail, South Boundary in Taos...) Opening the air chamber reveled the oil had decided to go else where.

Thanks, R
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've blown 15wt oil out of the air chamber before. The positive is that you don't have to top up the lowers for a while longer!

If it's happening regularly it's probably more seal related. Mine did it after a nose down landing from a 2' drop (100mm Laurins)

I'd guess anything more than 30wt would be too sticky and may increase stiction, although I could be wrong.

How old is the fork - if it's still under warranty I'd contact Magura. From my experience their cs in the UK is excellent.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by RicB
    Also - if you find the fork a little 'divey', try using 15wt oil in the damping chamber instead of stock (?5wt). It adds a little extra compression damping without having to use the Albert select system, so small bump compliance is maintained.

Adding 23ml of 15wt oil (in total) to the air chamber prevents bottoming out and give a little more ramp-up at the end of the stroke.
    ?

Hey RicB,, what brand, make of oil do you use? Does Magura make a 15Wt "Blood"? Or did you sub out a off the shelf synthetic 15wt oil? I thought I read somewhere that standard synthetic motor oil can be used in place of Magura "Blood".

I'm getting ready to service my Laurin FCR 130 and want to make sure I do it right.