mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Magura Hugin comments or observations?

Anyone out there run the Magura Hugin for a rear shock? Currently waiting on my first FS frame to arrive for winter buildup, and I am currently running the Magura front shocks which I absolutely love, so I wanted to ask if anyone out there had any experience with the Magura Hugin rear shock compared to say a Fox RP23?

Peace.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes
    Anyone out there run the Magura Hugin for a rear shock? Currently waiting on my first FS frame to arrive for winter buildup, and I am currently running the Magura front shocks which I absolutely love, so I wanted to ask if anyone out there had any experience with the Magura Hugin rear shock compared to say a Fox RP23?

Peace.
    Check this one out...

RS Pearl 3.1 on Moto-Lite

There's a review from MBUK on several shocks, including the Hugin.
    Check my Site

Got Rogued!
    I've won one on eBay but having a hard time to find the right mounting hardware to fit the frame. Even Magura USA does'nt have found a solution yet to my problem... They shipped me the bushing hardware kit but it does'nt fit. Now what?!? Kind of bummed...
    Ellsworth Moment / Ellsworth Rogue / Rocky Mountain Vertex / KHS SS

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by raceimp
    They shipped me the bushing hardware kit but it does'nt fit. Now what?!? Kind of bummed...
    What's exactly the issue??

I can't remember if it was Austin or Jimi who told me how to fit it to my bike when I was eying getting one.

The kit that comes with it had to be cut to size (by me) to fit my bike and I would have to use just the bolt (no sleeve or anything) on of the eyelets that are 8mm dia.
    Check my Site

Got Rogued!
    Either #0731384 or #0722491 spacers kit are useless. My shock have spherical eyelets joints. It's the ball and joint bushing that removes the torque from the shock mount. Those eyelets have a 10mm inner diameter. The spacers kit have a milled end that is not shaved enough to go in the 10mm inner diameter eyelet. I know I don't have to use the 8 to 6mm reducer sleeve.
    My bike is a Ellsworth Moment that have 8mm hardware. It is just that my 8mm bolt "floats around" in the 10mm eyelet, because the reducers did'nt connect around the edge of the eyelet and thus, it is'nt centered...
    Here are some pictures showing what I have (spacer with one edge) from what I need (several spacers with two edges).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got Rogued!

Well, well, well...

Buck at Magura USA finally sorted my problem. It was the spacers kit that was the wrong one. The result: three wrong and one good spacer kits. After having paid for the wrong kit, all fowarded to me were free of charge.

Now that's what I call a company taking care of their customers! Thanks again, Magura!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by raceimp
    Buck at Magura USA finally sorted my problem. It was the spacers kit that was the wrong one. The result: three wrong and one good spacer kits. After having paid for the wrong kit, all fowarded to me were free of charge.

Now that's what I call a company taking care of their customers! Thanks again, Magura!
    Bro, let me know how it rides... I have shocks coming out of my ears, but being a Magura junkie, I have always wanted to try the Hugin. To me is the most similar thing to a CCDB, but in a air version.

Hopefully they will resurface the Draco now the CCDB is out.
    Check my Site

squish is good
    I love the way the Hugin look on paper, the only thing that gives me pause about is the "high volume air can". There seem to be alot of bikes that don't respond well to this setup with their recommended sag settings. I have a Reign with Maestro suspension and when I switched to an RP3 with the high volume can it blew through the travel really bad when set at the proper setting. I suppose you could just dial up the high speed compression but I don't know if I would want to give away small bump compliance in the beginning of the stroke. I'm curious to see how this thing responds on a number of different suspensions or if Magura has a lower volume can option if indeed their high volume can is comparable to what Fox is putting out.
    Bike good, work bad.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    ... but I don't know if I would want to give away small bump compliance in the beginning of the stroke.
    Small bump compliance is related to low speed compression. You'll give it away if you put a lot of it along with getting better pedaling.

I get you on the different air canister volumes, though...
    Check my Site

squish is good
    Yeah, I guess I should be a bit more clear, I think of small bump compliance meaning your not landing off a jump or drop, like your rolling along gobbling rocks and general trail crap. Wrong term, I know. I've had to use high speed compression on undersprung coil suspension forks to compensate for bottoming too quickly and the ride was significantly poorer over everything from small ripples to full stroke ruts, roots, and rocks. This isn't tooling along, mostly going as fast as possible on shuttle runs. I can live with a little extra compression damping on a leisurely ride but thats not what I'd be buying a shock with that kind of adjustability for.
    Bike good, work bad.

Got Rogued!
    I don't know how it will ride, that's why I'm so glad to have bought it on eBay... 99$ is a fairly good price for the eternal Magura fan inside of me (and to have save about 800$ on a "brand new" Ellsworth Rogue is pretty cool too). Further more, I think it will be a perfect match for my Wotan...

Since it is snowing outside, the only factor that is keeping me away from trying it is the salty roads here in the Quebec province. I think I'll have to wait next spring/summer for a test at Bromont, the area where we go for shuttle runs. At least, like Clutchman83, it looks good on paper, so I think if it looks good on paper for Magura, it'll work good as it is a high quality german product.

I'm a convince Magura fan after years using their products. I'm currently running on my bikes all Magura brakes (1 set Marta SL, 2 sets Louise FR, 1 set Louise BAT) that have never let me down in 6 or 7 years. I'm running a Magura Wotan since the middle of the summer and I'm pretty stocked by the ride quality, as now I'm trying to find a better matching rear shock to fit with the suppleness of the Wotan. The cycling thing is a circle that goes round and round ...