mtbr member
    May 2011

Magura Forks - A bit of guidance on their damping layout (TS8R).

Fancy giving magura forks a go. Looking at the TS8 150 Fix with albert select+.

Albert select+ -

In off position, all oil gets directed through compression shim stack, correct?

In the on position, a port opens that by passes shim stack which is metered by a needle, the needle position is altered by a knob on top, correct?

In the on position, the shim stack isn't physically closed off so there is no oil flow past the shims, correct?

I can't make up my mind whether to rely on the shim stack and not worry about having any low speed compression adjustment or to run the damper in the on position, and make use of the low speed compression adjustment, using it just the same as i would on a Rockshox mission control dmaper.

Rebound piston -

Is there a shimmed high/mid speed circuit, plus your typical orifice and needle for the low speed circuit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    whoa. you have much greater understanding of suspension technology than me.

I'm curious if anyone has answers to your questions.

I have a TS8 R 100mm due in a couple weeks. Part of what made me go there is the simplicity of the fork. You might prefer a Tower Pro, which has almost infinite dialatability options.

This recent review gives a good overview of suspension characteristics:
    Magura TS8R Suspension Fork: Final Review
    Selma Ti.

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Hello FBM

Thanks for considering a Magura Fork!

Yes to your first assumption the oil flows through the shim stack in the off position.

When the AS (albert select) is in the "on" position, there is a closure of three kidney shaped ports which redirects the fluid through the center of the compression damper shaft of the unit, passing it through the needle orifice controlled by the AS. The shim stack is not used in this option but routed around it (or though the center actually)
    The needle position as you already stated is altered by the gold AS knob and is low speed or slow shaft speed control only.

We only have the option to alter the low speed circuit and this is done with the AS. The shim stacks high speed circuit is controlled by the factory setting or shim orientation. To change the high speed circuit, you would have to alter the shim stack itself. This is possible but unfortunately we don't recommend it because we don't offer any small parts.
    You have to be creative and adventurous to go after this part of the damper but that is not uncommon or unheard of.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.
    Jude

Jun 2004
    /Users/judemonica/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/NOKIA Lumia 900 Dec 12, 2012/NOKIA Lumia 900_000525.jpg
    /Users/judemonica/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2012/NOKIA Lumia 900 Dec 12, 2012/NOKIA Lumia 900_000526.jpg
    Jude

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Jude
    When will US dealers be able to get the RCL2 lockout for the TS8R ?
    Is install straight forward?

I'm picking up myTS8 this week ... Totally thrilled
    Selma Ti.

Jun 2004
    adinpapa, I just checked with Matt in Olney and the RCL2 is available now and in stock.

You simply replace the back clamp of the brake with the remote, that simple!

Part # and info below:

0 724 770 - RCL2 Remote lever with click stop for DLO2, Albert Select+ or Lift Select, 2012

Thanks for going with Magura!
    Jude