Newbie...yeah that's it

Magura Asgard or Rock Shox Tora 318

Well in my quest to upgrade my OE fork, I have ran across two forks that I am really interested in. The Magura Asgard w/Lock Out and teh RS Tora 318. Both seem to be quality forks. Both forks seem to be about the same price, the Tora has more travel if needed. What is going to be the best for the money? The Magura I was looking at came with a pump as well. The Tora seems like I would be able to use it on another bike if I ever upgraded to a FS from my HT. I ride a HT, and mostly XC, but here in Arizona the terrain is quite unforgiving and rough in places I like to frequent. Any pro's and con's from owners of either would be great.

Going for a ride......
    I've got the Tora 318 and really like it at the 130mm setting.
    Only drawback if you want to convert it from poplock to non-poplock it can be quite costly (and vice versa) as you need to buy a whole new motion control damper unit - I guess this is a good thing should it break at least parts should be easy to come by.
    I find it nice and plush and simple which isn't a bad thing - only air adjustment and rebound adjustment (apart from the remote control poploc). Oh & I think the weight is pretty respectable considering it falls into the 130mm travel category. Solo Air is also a bonus if you're a lighter person as you don't have to go changing springs etc.

Personally I found that 100mm wasn't quite enough travel to make it really plush for me, maybe because I'm on the lighter side of the spectrum (60kg female).
    It's not too hard to service and I haven't noticed any flex. I think it's a great, make that excellent fork for the money.
    No experience with the Magura and my only other fork was a Rock Shox Judy TT which reached it's limitations after owning my hardrock for 5yrs.

If you wanted something with more adjustability but not as much travel (115mm) then the Reba could be worth a look.
    energetix

Elitest thrill junkie
    The Magura reminds me of "anal bum cover"...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Freshly Fujified

I don't own either but

From a purely economical standpoint, the Magura is a better buy, and more than likely a better fork overall. There has been a number of threads about the Magura on mtbr, and I certainly don't want to take away from the Tora, but the Asgard has excellent craftsmanship, not a single plastic part in it, and is supposed to be a pretty latrerally stiff fork. It has a reputation for taking some time to break in, but is supposed to be very plush once it's dialed in. OTOH, the Tora 318 does have 32mm stanchions and Motion Control damping, which has a pretty solid reputation.

Bottom line, of the two, I'd buy the Asgard, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

single speeder
    Sep 2006
    I had a 2006 Asgard 110. Got it off Ebay for a very good price. A very nice fork, quality built. I really liked it and had no complaints about it. Then after six months, it broke. No rebound damping and no lockout. The end of the stanchion tube broke off inside the fork slider, which killed the lockout. Dont know what happened to the rebound. So, I sent it to Magura USA. They didnt have the parts to fix it and werent optimistic they would get them, as the 2007 forks were coming in at the time. They sent me a Ronin 110, which is the 2006 top of the line XC fork, for no charge. I used that fork for 3 mos until I got a new bike. Now the Ronin is for sale, as I just dont need it. I'm very satisfied with how Magura handled this issue and stood behind their product, and I would buy another Magura fork.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Would I have a problem getting a Magura serviced at a LBS??? Or will it always have to be sent in for service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I will also vouch for the Asgard. i have one on my hardtail and it's top quality. You are getting a better fork for the same price. The asgard originally listed and sold for over $400.

On your questions about service. Most LBS won't service forks beyond simple services. And magura is excellent with customer service and super quick turn around. i would not worry about that.

I-S
    Magurified
    Gah... server was too busy so it lost my attempted message...

Servicing the Asgard is pretty easy. If you can change the oil on your car you can do this.

I've not ridden the Tora so I can't comment on how they compare. What I can say is that the Asgard is a great fork for soaking up the bumps. Maybe it isn't quite as stiff as a 32mm stanchioned fork, maybe it bobs more than a platform fork. What it does do very well, especially for the price you can now get them for, is to just glide over terrain. You can see that the terrain is rough, you can hear it's rough under your tyres. You can't feel it.

Freshly Fujified

Fork service

Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    On your questions about service. Most LBS won't service forks beyond simple services. And magura is excellent with customer service and super quick turn around. i would not worry about that.
    Tony's right. Beyond oil changes and other preventative maintenance, forks typically go back to the manufacturer for service. Magura has a very good reputation in this regard.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Another concern is something I just read in another thread about the Magura Asgard. I live in Arizona , as we all know it gets HOT. I read that there are some oil leak issues when it warms up, this kind of steers me away from this fork because 8 months out of the year it is HOT here. I don't know if it's just his fork issue or if it's all of them but it is a concern for me.

I-S
    Magurified
    Allow me to clarify on that... I think the fork itself would have to get up to 55-60 degrees C for problems to occur. While that may happen if the bike is locked in a car, riding in 35C ambients (~100F) shouldn't be problematic. There is also no reason that similar issues with extremely high temperatures should not affect all manufacturers of oil-damped forks.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Well, I decided on the Rock Shox Tora 318. It had good reviews and I felt more comfortable buying the better known "brand". I read quiet a bit on the Magura, and their CS seems to go above and beyond, but the product, from what I read, doesn't seem to be as reliable. I'm fairly new at this and don't have a spare bike/parts, so any down time would put me out.

Going for a ride......
    Here in Australia I had never heard of the Magura Asguard fork, I never even knew Magura did forks untill I visited the Magura website whilst doing some research on hydro brakes.

I did an oil service on the Tora myself and since the last car trip (first time I've had the bike in the car for an extended time - 4hrs) I've noticed a leak from the top of the MC leg. In all likeness I thought perhaps I didn't tighten something enough or overtightened or damaged a seal whilst re-inserting the MC Damper. It never crossed my mind that the fork could be leaking due to temperatures - it get's over 40C here regulalry at the moment. However I think it's pretty unlikely to be due to the temps here, I reckon it would take more heat than that and it's much more likely to be a result of something I did or didn't do during the service.

As for small companies or the "not as well known products" I guess it comes down to building that reputation for quality which takes time.

Just had another look at the Magura site and unless they change names each year the Asguard doesn't appear to be available in the 2007 range. That would probably be one of the factors that would lead me to choose the Tora over the Asguard as well.
    energetix