mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Magura Asgard Owners

I am now on my second Asgard because the rebound knob kept leaking. I sent the first fork back to Magura for repair and it came back but still leaked. After the repair, the fork leaked when I would leave my bike in the car at work all day. I could go out after work and there would be a small amount of oil on the rebound adjustment knob.

The new fork does the same thing. When I leave it in the hot car all day, I get a good sized drop on the rebound knob. If the fork is inside I dont have any leaks that I can tell.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the oil thinning in the heat? Could it be overfilled causing the oil to expand when heated? I love the fork and Magura has excellent customer service but I would hate to have to send another back.

Does anyone know how many ml of oil should be in the fork?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I-S
    Magurified
    Funny you should ask, as I've just been stripping the rebound mech in mine today (the adjuster is seized, but that was my fault...However, it's set about right so not going to mess with it).

The way that it is designed, any excess oil will work its way out of the rebound knob when the fork bottoms out. When the fork is upside down or the right way up, the oil can not get out, but laying the fork on its side actually allows the oil to leak out. The heat will thin the oil and increase the pressure in the fork (as the air in it expands) and make it easier for it to leak and giving it some push to move out.

Is it only a few drops of oil, or a slick?

I fear that this is just a feature (flaw if you like...) of the design when it comes to your specific usage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It amounts to about a drop or so every time.

Unlike the first fork I had that I could tell was defective (oil puddling out on the floor), this basically just covers the knob. When I wipe it off it will coat my index finger.

After the first fork was repaired by Magura with new seals on that side of the fork, it did the same thing that this one does now.

When I originally talked to Magura a couple of months ago, the repair tech mentioned something about the forks being over filled at the factory. I wonder if this could be the problem? I may check the oil level to see how much is in there. Maybe if filled to the correct level this won't happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well now I am getting a little bit tired of the Asgard. The new fork's rebound adjustment knob only has 5 total clicks of adjustment. There should be 14 total clicks from what the manual says.

Is there something I can adjust here to correct this? I just installed a new headset tonight and the cane creek crown race might as well be made of butter its so soft. I dont want to take it off.

If nothing else I guess another fork will be going back to Magura.

I-S
    Magurified
    I am starting to believe that the rebound system design is not particularly clever....