mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Lyrik RC Solo Air Clunking

I have a brand new Lyrik RC Solo Air that is clunking. It makes the noise anywhere in the travel when it is transitioning from compression to rebound (it is not a top out issue). I haven't been able to discern whether the noise/feel is coming from the left or the right side. Anyone else experienced this issue and found the source/solution? I have been riding the fork for a couple of months now with no improvement. It does not feel like bushings, as there is no fore/aft slop. A friend has the same issue with his new Lyrik RC2 DH Dual Position Air, if that can confuse the issue any further. Any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Update: just spoke with aforementioned friend; his clunking was coming from his headset being a smidge loose. Before you ask the question, yes I have ruled that out on my bike. I hope this de-complicates the matter.

Bike's hmmm nice
    Had this. I think it is the seals on the air kit that flip when changing direction. Hated it so much that I changed the air kit for coil u-turn. It should not effect the functionality of the forks though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hmmm think i have this too, on a 2nd hand lyrik i just fitted.
    (Solo Air 170mm, MiCo, 2010)
    sooo.. no solution? :/

edit: some good info here:
    Rockshox Lyrik Coil nasty "top out noise"

mtbr member
    The seal between the positive and negative chambers can get misaligned under extreme hits causing that issue. Just take her apart per the easy RS vid on Youtube. It will be tough to pull the air assembly out of the stanchion with it misaligned so be prepared. Or just bring it to the shop you bought it from. It's not a common problem and I usually only see this when someone is forcing their fork down under full body weight repeatedly (as in parking lot jack-hammering it).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thanks, so you think it's air side? just working out which service kit to buy in case seals are damaged, or get damaged.
    no shop, bought privately..
    thanks!

mtbr member
    If the fork is new, as you state, just take her apart and put back together with everything in alignment = problem solved. If it's used, then yes, get the air side service kit.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!