Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dude

Lyrik Dual Position Air - Anyone riding one?

Looking to get one of these for my TR Covert. On paper, looks like an awesome fork - I have a Monarch RT3 and really like the dual flow rebound and it would be great to have it on the fork too. Anyone having issues with the new Dual Position system? The Mission Control damper is all figured out, more or less, right (Reliability wise)? Also, No one having the creaky crowns anymore?

In general, how does the fork compare to the 160 TALAS RC2 FIT? Either RC2L or DH damper? I had been planning on getting the TALAS as the 2 step is significantly heavier (200g+), but with the 2p-air system dropping a lot of weight, that has me more interested.

Thanks for any info!

-Joe

dude
    I work at a shop, so service is not the major concern for me

*edit* wtf posting above the next poster?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ive seen both creak. buy at a top shop and they service the fork and replace steerer/crown unit for free. or buy best price at mr.internetz and try your best...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Currently using a 2012 Lyrik DP Air, and it's much sensitive than 2-Step. I replaced the stock MiCo with Floodgate into a MiCO DH damper and I have to close more on the LSC since I have bobbing while climbing, compare to 2-Step that it barely moves during hard climbs.

All in all, I'm happy with the performance...it's as close as the coil IMO. Can't say about reliability though, since I just have have it for a month of riding.

dude
    Cool! Thanks for the input - I don't know if you can get a DP air with a DH damper also - it would probably be the ideal setup for me as I'm more focused on the DH performance.

Kiwi that Flew
    I have just ordered one from ChainReaction. Fingers crossed it will be sweet

--- deanopatoni ---

dude
    Nice! Please post your first impressions, ride review, etc... when you get the chance.

As far as the DH damper goes, I've come across the "floodgate removal" tutorials both here and on Pinkbike.com and it looks like it would achieve 90% of what I want to do without having to drop another $100 on the DH damper. It appears that the DH damper is just the standard mission control without the floodgate and an optimized shimstack - might be fun to tinker with the shimstack as well.

Kiwi that Flew

www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-lyric-mod-2010.html

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoedotorg View Post
    Nice! Please post your first impressions, ride review, etc... when you get the chance.

As far as the DH damper goes, I've come across the "floodgate removal" tutorials both here and on Pinkbike.com and it looks like it would achieve 90% of what I want to do without having to drop another $100 on the DH damper. It appears that the DH damper is just the standard mission control without the floodgate and an optimized shimstack - might be fun to tinker with the shimstack as well.
    Checked out the video Technical Tuesday: RockShox Totem and Lyric Mission Control Damper Mod - Pinkbike.com which looks easy enough to do, so might give this a try at some point.
    I bought the RC2L Dual Position as you can't seem to be able to get a RC2DH Dual Position in the UK (if available at all).

On my Revelation I don't use the floodgate apart from setting and forgetting it so when compression if fully closed I still get about 1 inch of travel (so the fork is not fully rigid).

Really looking forward to playing round with the Lyrik, wondering also if there is any kind of manual in the box, though from what I have read I doubt it, so maybe this will be part of the fun (?).

Cheers

dude
    deanopatoni,

any first impressions, ride reviews, etc... about the fork?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoedotorg View Post
    deanopatoni,

any first impressions, ride reviews, etc... about the fork?
    This fork is amazing! Stiff as. Buttery smooth. The Dual Position feature is amazing.
    Put this fork on a 2010 5Spot having been thinking about upgrading from my 150mm revelation for the last 18mnth.
    I did all the calculations on CAD to see how the angles would change and bar height etc but all fears were gone once the fork was on the bike. It feels 10-15% faster!
    Awesome fork. Wish I had gotten a Lyrik earlier, but that said, the DPA version was worth the wait.

Just get one, you will not regret it

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    to add up with Deanopatoni's review...when I got my fork (US Based), there's even spare parts included for future maintenance. "O" rings included (for DPA) and dust wiper seal kit...how is that for a great product support.

dude
    Nice! I bought a Monarch RT3 this last fall and was impressed with the air can service kit and pump that came with it. Very nice touches which are completely opposite of the Fox "You're not smart enough to touch the insides of our forks" attitude. Looking forward to the Lyrik DPA - just waiting for it to come in stock.

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by bashtee View Post
    to add up with Deanopatoni's review...when I got my fork (US Based), there's even spare parts included for future maintenance. "O" rings included (for DPA) and dust wiper seal kit...how is that for a great product support.
    I was pleasantly surprised to see these in the box along with a pump too. I figure at this level you are getting a proper pro upgrade and RS are serious about its performance.

I would love to get a Monarch Plus to complement the Lyrik, but maybe only after I have worked out how to get the best out of all the setting on the fork first.

This fork is in a way different league to the Revelation and Reba I've had in the past!

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    I've had a Lyrik on my bike for about 5 yrs now and love the fork. I did however convert my 2 step air to a coil after I blew out an O ring. Awesome forks!!

aka DJ Papi
    Quote Originally Posted by bashtee View Post
    Hi bashtee.. I'm in a major search for the 2012 DP Lyrik or the 170mm Solo Air. Unfortunately, I cant find them anywhere. where I come from. So I opted to buy it stateside.

May I ask what shop / site you bought your Lyric from?

cheers.

UK Bike Whore
    Dec 2008
    To add to this, I just had my first ride on my Lyrik DPA after the 2 Step was swapped out under warranty. They are so smooth, much smoother than the 2 Step probably smoother than my coil Pikes.

The nearest fork I can compare the spring/smoothness feel of these is to an 06 Marzocchi 66. And thats a good thing. The damping is much better in the Lyrik tho.

I cant wait to get more miles on this fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by emrs0414 View Post
    Hi bashtee.. I'm in a major search for the 2012 DP Lyrik or the 170mm Solo Air. Unfortunately, I cant find them anywhere. where I come from. So I opted to buy it stateside.

May I ask what shop / site you bought your Lyric from?

cheers.
    If you haven't bought any yet (just saw your post right now) Universal Cycles - The Largest Selection of Road and Mountain Bike Parts is a good on-line store. Just use the "VIP15" to get an additional 15% off.

BTW, the SRAM CS told me that to ensure the smoothness/stiction-free of DPA re-lube the O-rings and shaft assembly at least once or twice a year using the PM600 Military Grease. DPA has less moving parts, less O-rings and made my MiCo DH sweeter!!! Although LSC needs to be dialed more during hard climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mine is rc2l and the floodgate complements the fox propedal in the back. I'm using minimal compression and the adjustable floodgate is running only a quarter turn of the allen screw. I vary from 2-6 clicks of lsc depending on the trail and 2-3 clicks on hsc. Lots of rebound and low pressure in the air spring. Keeps dive at bay and stays plush for small bumps. I only use the floodgate if i plan on standing. In twisty technical terrain i keep the dpa in the 130mm setting for quick handling at low speed and full travel for downhill only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So far so good. I've swap my solo air sping for a DPA a month ago. Did about 10 rides with it and it's surprisingly smooth. Howerver, I find it much more linear that the solo air, but that's not an issue for what I've been riding lately. The 'big' trails are opening soon so I'll try to report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The HSC doesn't feel like a whole lot of compression in the parking lot but is highly effective on the trail. I run low spring pressure (50-60psi @165lbs dressed to ride) and 3 clicks HSC and never bottom out. I only leave the ground by 2 feet max, but occasionally use 90% travel during fast techy downhill. The lyrik fork is just so adjustable and versatile. The travel adjust has been reliable,too. I couldn't imagine a better fork to go with my '10 Spec. Enduro.

dude
    I think I've had enough time on mine now to chime in. No Floodgate mod necessary - super sensitive spring, I run pretty low compression damping, medium high speed compression and fast rebound on a TR Covert. Weigh in at 150, geared up. Nothing but good things to say about the fork. Tons of adjustment and they all work well. Dual flow rebound is the cherry on top. I like it much better than the TALAS it replaced.

mtbr member
    can you compare Dual Position to Solo Air ? is there noticable difference (like Talas to Float) ?

I guess changing air spring DP to Solo Air quite cheap? (in case i don't like it) ?

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    can you compare Dual Position to Solo Air ? is there noticable difference (like Talas to Float) ?

I guess changing air spring DP to Solo Air quite cheap? (in case i don't like it) ?
    From what I have read in reviews the DPA's are very similar in performance to a solo air. My DPA amazes me with its super plush performance every time I ride it. BikeRadar did a review on the DPA.

--- deanopatoni ---

mtbr member
    i'm asking also about reliability, as 2step was a problematic (people had to send it to service 1-2 times a year)

there is a kit for solo air NOVYPARTS - PRODUCTS that can change a little characteristics, if you need

Kiwi that Flew
    Quote Originally Posted by razorjack View Post
    i'm asking also about reliability, as 2step was a problematic (people had to send it to service 1-2 times a year)

there is a kit for solo air NOVYPARTS - PRODUCTS that can change a little characteristics, if you need
    From what I have read from other posters on various forums DPA is totally different to 2Step and much better/ less complicated mechanically. Google "2 step vs dpa" and read the forum results. I have no personal experience with 2Step.

--- deanopatoni ---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast