Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

is Lyrik coil u-turn reliable?

I've read about the problems with lyrik 2 step air forks.
    Are the coil sprung Lyrik U-turn forks more reliable?
    any long term user reviews?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Yes they are....

the 2 step is quite a different system from the U-turn. The U-turn is an infanately (within a given range) adjustable travel system. The U-turn has been around quite a while and has proven reliable. The 2 Step is quite new, and as with many "new" systems it's having it's teething problems. I haven't had much experience with the 2 step, but the U-turn, both coil and air are quite simple and reliable.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

3 "fiddy" for short
    Not to disagree, but I went through 3 coils is 2 1/2 months last fall. I do realize that these forks were probably from the first run, but none the less it was three forks in very short order. The issues were 2 creaky crowns and one that lost all LSC. Was it bad luck on my part, could be. But, others had similar issues.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by aye-aye
    I've read about the problems with lyrik 2 step air forks.
    Are the coil sprung Lyrik U-turn forks more reliable?
    any long term user reviews?
    My coil u-turn has been working trouble-free for several months now. Great fork.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 08-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Bodhisattva
    5 months on my u-turn.
    Had a little bit of travel creep which was remedied by adding one ball bearing to the u-turn adjuster. Other than that it's been problem-free and is a great fork.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Card Carrying Member
    I've got 4-5 trail rides and one lift day on my lyric coil and I think it might be dead. Saturday was the lift day, all super d and xc trails, but it had a bit of a clunk just a few feet into the first run. Halfway down and I was becoming afraid to have the front wheel leave the ground because of the metal on metal clunk I was getting on top out. I slowed the rebound down alot and it helped, but now I'm one click from full slow and there's totally something wrong with the fork.

I'm pulling it apart tonight so that I don't waste a 2-3 week turnaround for something I could have fixed myself. It has to be something obvious as loud as it is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    aww, c'mon guys! These mixed reports are not helping me make up my mind on which fork to get I'm 'bout ready to pull the trigger on a Lyric coil (good deals on 07's right now) but the other fork I was considering is the Z1 RC2. I know the Z1 RC2 will be as reliable as a hammer (not to mention less $250 less) but the extra travel and maxle of the lyric is the shiznit. Help, help!

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    aww, c'mon guys! These mixed reports are not helping me make up my mind on which fork to get I'm 'bout ready to pull the trigger on a Lyric coil (good deals on 07's right now) but the other fork I was considering is the Z1 RC2. I know the Z1 RC2 will be as reliable as a hammer (not to mention less $250 less) but the extra travel and maxle of the lyric is the shiznit. Help, help!
    The Maxle 360 IS a work of art, but .3" of travel---- no big deal really IMO. The Lyrik coil is rather linear in its travel and the marzocchi can be tuned with oil levels to make it more progressive. Over all I think that my 66 "feels" like it is built better. I know, I know, feel is subjective, but having both in hand at the same time led me to that conclusion. Anyway, the bugs that I had may well be worked out of the current run of Lyriks. But after hearing how people raved, and still rave about the Z1 Light from last year, I would say go for the Z1.
    Last edited by be350ka; 08-12-2007 at 05:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I've got 4-5 trail rides and one lift day on my lyric coil and I think it might be dead. Saturday was the lift day, all super d and xc trails, but it had a bit of a clunk just a few feet into the first run. Halfway down and I was becoming afraid to have the front wheel leave the ground because of the metal on metal clunk I was getting on top out. I slowed the rebound down alot and it helped, but now I'm one click from full slow and there's totally something wrong with the fork.

I'm pulling it apart tonight so that I don't waste a 2-3 week turnaround for something I could have fixed myself. It has to be something obvious as loud as it is.
    Welll...did ya rip it apart? I'm curious on what you find kitchenware. I haven't heard any loud clunks from my fork, but do think something is up with the low and high damping. I'm with you on not wanting to waste time for an easy fix, I'd just hate to void any warranty I may have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campisi
    where are the deals on the Lyrik's?

Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005
    I weigh 167lbs and the red (med) u turn spring is too stiff for me, as hard as i try i can't bury it in the 160mm mode.
    Its on a 6.6
    i had the 2step but RS swapped it for the u turn until they get the technology dialed in.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Mine works great, about 15-20 rides so far.

JMH

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    where are the deals on the Lyrik's?
    Don't know if they still have it (I bought a Z1RC2) but at Universal Cycles you can select the 2007 Lyrik coil for $920 and add code "FORK57" and that gets you a 20% discount. Brings the Lyrik to, what, $740? Not bad.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    I weigh 166 and I don't get the right amount of sag, however the fork feels fine and I have even bottomed it out on a 2.5-foot drop to flat, so no way I'm getting a softer spring.

What worries me is that I don't notice any difference between HS compression full open and full closed: it still bottoms out equally easily on the same drop.

I also have some creaking noises in the headset/steerer tube area, but I haven't found the source yet, might be the headset as well.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    I weigh 166 and I don't get the right amount of sag, however the fork feels fine and I have even bottomed it out on a 2.5-foot drop to flat, so no way I'm getting a softer spring.

What worries me is that I don't notice any difference between HS compression full open and full closed: it still bottoms out equally easily on the same drop.

I also have some creaking noises in the headset/steerer tube area, but I haven't found the source yet, might be the headset as well.
    Creaking??? OH NO!! It sounds very similar to what I experienced. No change in compression? Sounds similar as well. Both of these problems were fixed under warranty (creaks coming form stanchion/crown interface, and hosed compression circuits). Even when my fork was working, it never felt like it had anywhere near the range of adjustability of other forks Ive had.

mtbr member

working great here

My Lyrik coil is working great with 4 months of riding on it. No creaks, high and low speed compression working fine.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by be350ka
    Creaking??? OH NO!! It sounds very similar to what I experienced. No change in compression? Sounds similar as well. Both of these problems were fixed under warranty (creaks coming form stanchion/crown interface, and hosed compression circuits). Even when my fork was working, it never felt like it had anywhere near the range of adjustability of other forks Ive had.
    Hey, scratch my Lyrik off the creaking Lyriks list Yesterday I put a Pike on my rig and the sound was still there, so it's definitely not the fork.

Amphibious Technologies
    Hey, scratch my Lyrik off the creaking Lyriks list Yesterday I put a Pike on my rig and the sound was still there, so it's definitely not the fork.
    Are you running a CK headset? There's been reports of CK headsets creaking. No problems with both of mine though.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by romar
    Welll...did ya rip it apart? I'm curious on what you find kitchenware. I haven't heard any loud clunks from my fork, but do think something is up with the low and high damping. I'm with you on not wanting to waste time for an easy fix, I'd just hate to void any warranty I may have.

It's on it's way to RS as I type. I dropped it off at a local shop last Friday, I think it finally went out yesterday Sram should have it by fri and I should (crossing fingers) have it or one that isn't forked up, by the end of next week. I'm having fun and getting in better shape riding my rigid SS, but I sure do miss my Preston FR.

Motion activated
    That's normal as far as I know. Drops are a much lower speed compression than say hitting a square(ish) edge rock at 25mph.

The Lyrik really needs a way to adjust bottom out. Other than that it's an awesome fork.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Last edited by markymark; 08-16-2007 at 03:30 AM. Reason: boredom

mtbr member
    Hey Smith, basically the same thing happened with my Lyrik. I started a thread here, hoping to find out what the problem may be, but nobody has yet hit up with a reply. How's the LS & rebound working for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    It's on it's way to RS as I type. I dropped it off at a local shop last Friday, I think it finally went out yesterday Sram should have it by fri and I should (crossing fingers) have it or one that isn't forked up, by the end of next week. I'm having fun and getting in better shape riding my rigid SS, but I sure do miss my Preston FR.
    I dropped my Preston off at the LBS where I purchased it from this afternoon. Mind you that this LBS is the only Transition dealer in MA and is a bit over an hour away from me...and that's without traffic. By the time I got home, there was a message waiting in my inbox from the shop noting that my fork is on the UPS truck and headed out to Chicago. Very Cool! The shop also informed me that SRAM will be sending out under warranty a new BB for my already sloppy Truvative crankset. So I'll be without my trusted steed for a week or so. Figures too. This weekend the weather geeks are reporting IDEAL conditions for riding up here in New England.

I guess I'm gonna have to fix that flat on the SanAn after all.

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    5 months on my u-turn.
    Had a little bit of travel creep which was remedied by adding one ball bearing to the u-turn adjuster. Other than that it's been problem-free and is a great fork.

Ahhh.. squeak - can you tell me what size the BBs are? I lost one while taking off the topcap a while back and need to replace the blighter. The Lyrik shop manual doesn't seem to state size anywhere obvious.

cheers

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    Are you running a CK headset? There's been reports of CK headsets creaking. No problems with both of mine though.
    I've heard about those problems with CK headset, but mine is a FSA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    That's normal as far as I know. Drops are a much lower speed compression than say hitting a square(ish) edge rock at 25mph.

The Lyrik really needs a way to adjust bottom out. Other than that it's an awesome fork.
    It's strange that right now RS and Fox are making some (otherwise) nice long-travel forks, but with no way to adjust bottom-out/progressivity, which can be as, or more important than most other features IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast