mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Lyric coil - possible to reduce travel from 170 to 160mm?

Does anyone know what parts are required to reduce travel from 170mm to 160mm on a 2011 RS Lyric (coil) ? RS sells both, but I can get the 170mm for significantly less money but my bike frame is spec'd for the 160mm axle to crown height.

I searched the forum and only found info about the air sprung lyrics.
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't see a fixed travel 160mm option available. You could purchase a U-turn spring assembly & top cap.

Spare parts catalog, Page 51

Service Resources - RockShox | SRAM

mtbr member
    Can Fixed Coil 170 Lyrik Be Reduced to 160mm?

if only these forums had some way to search...

10mm axle crown isn't that much either. I'd give it a try before shortening.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

I agree 10mm isn't that much but that link was almost useless. Shortening the spring rod (done properly) isn't the easiest option for a home wrench. Just slapping in a spacer preloads the coil by the amount of the spacer height.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post

Thanks for the link, I didn't see that in my previous search. Some of those ideas weren't very good (like the ones resulting in excessive preload), but cutting that shaft down by 10mm and re-threading isn't too tough.

I
    Taiwan could probably TIG weld a ham sandwich to a dictionary these days, but its been a while since they were doing brazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewQ View Post
    Thanks for the link, I didn't see that in my previous search. Some of those ideas weren't very good (like the ones resulting in excessive preload), but cutting that shaft down by 10mm and re-threading isn't too tough.

I
    Pretty sure the end of the spring rod is stepped. I contemplated shortening the rod on another RS fork but done properly would require a lathe - not working w/ much material in that area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Pretty sure the end of the spring rod is stepped. I contemplated shortening the rod on another RS fork but done properly would require a lathe - not working w/ much material in that area.
    Agreed, but it should be pretty simple on a lathe (I have access to a machine shop). I'll either go that route or just buy a u-turn coil assembly.