mtbr member

Lowered Fox 36 Van R question.

Hi!
    I've bought a 36 Van R fork that has been lowered from 160 mm to 140mm by previous owner. Now I want to restore its travel to 160 mm. First thing that I want to do is to open the left leg's top cap and look if the spring was shortened or not.
    Here is the question: if the spring was not shortened, then it's compressed a little in the forks fully extended position, right?
    So, when I try to undo the top cap will the spring pop out and break the last threads on the top cap???
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If it was done right, the dude cut about 15mm off of the spring (so it compresses a little bit when the cap is screwed on) and spaced out the rod on the spring side. YOu never know with the way people hack things though.

Back the preload all the way off, and gauge how easy it is to turn the preload knob. If its really hard to turn the first couple clicks, then be very careful taking it off.

Just don't stare at it. Wrap a towel around the torque wrench and fork, you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks! It's really easy to turn the preload knob for the first couple of turn and then it becomes much harder. I guess, it means that he did cut it. I'll use a towel just in case anyway.

mtbr member
    Oh, here is another question: I've just found out that springs for 2005-2010 forks are different from springs for 2011- forks. How can I tell which year my fork is if it has lower legs from a different fork? In other words, after I take the spring out, how do I tell if it's a 2011 model or an older one?

mtbr member
    Guys, I took a photo of my Vanilla. As I said, the lowers are from 2011 float, but I don't know what model year are the uppers. And I need to know it to understand what spring to buy. Can you help me with this?
    Lowered Fox 36 Van R question.-img_1862.jpg