AKA Mr.Habanero

lowere bearing removal

How in the heck do l get these out Enduro Max 7902 Bearing, im pretty sure thats what they are. Clearly they need to be pressed out but l dont know how to get a grip to push them out. Do l just pound the piss out of them? I dont want to break the frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowere bearing removal-328218_10200225127741345_840180599_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My first bearing overhaul (newer frame) was a Santa Cruz Blur. Majority of bearing pressed into a blind hole. I go a few out w/ a blind hole slide hammer (very archaic) I also made a screw puller out of all thread and washers. I finally called SC and they told me they had a tool specifically for the removal / install - sold and smooth sailing. Now I always contact the frame manufacture before I bust out the hammer, all thread, washers / sockets etc. Do yourself a favor and do the same it can save a lot of frustration and possible frame damage.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Press them out of what? What does the other side look like?

AKA Mr.Habanero
    The other side is the samething. I see no issues with pressing them in just taking them out.
    Alright, l will look into the tool to take them out. It should be an easy fix Intense has many of the same things as Santa Cruz

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Don't they have a bearing puller you can get from the manufacturer or a local shop? I'm sure the "recommended" tool is expensive but you could use a knock-off with relative ease and it's probably a little more wallet friendly. Just try not to dent the shields.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I use a threaded rod, washers and sockets - similar to the c-clamp used here: Changing Bearings: What tools are needed?

The hammer is the crude way and risks damaging the frame.

AKA Mr.Habanero
    I checked out your link and its a great idea but that wont work in this instance. However, l think l found what im looking for- A Pilot bearing remover
    pilot bearing remover - Google Search

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If the bearing is pressed into a blind hole, removal is simple but messy.

Fill the hole with grease and then find a dowel that snugly fits through the bearing. Tap on that dowel so that it forces the grease into the hole and by hydraulic pressure thus forces the bearing out of the hole.

I use this method with great success to remove pilot bearings from flywheels on cars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    VPP bearing maintenance : http://www.santacruzmtb.com/tech/blur_bearing.php

SC bearings are considered a relaxed fit thus they use Loctite # 680. The 680 plus any corrosion can = a PITA w/o the correct tools. I wouldn't use a hammer of any sort (puller or manual).