mtbr member

low volume conversion for monarch rt high volume.

Hey I have tried to searching this out a bit, but im not 100% sure how this is being done.

Im a solid but big guy, 230lbs+ and im eating up the mid stroke like mad on my monarch rt. I have read about a low air conversion for rear shocks, makes the mid stroke stiffer at the cost of a a bit of the maximum stroke (which is ok i dont huck or hit drops over 3-4').

Although im having a hard time figuring out how this is done, i have read its done by adding spacers but im trying to understand is this just something you can request on a rebuild and there are just parts from other things that accomplish this or is it a kit?.

any help or explanation would be greatly appreciated.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

HAHA PWN
    Is this what you're looking for? It may or may not work for the Monarch though.
    DW 5 Spot RP23 mod

mtbr member
    thank you, good thing im handy. But looks like i will have to find a rebuild video to see what the guts look like before i start tampering with my own.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    What volume and tune your Monarch should have will depend on what frame the shock is on. The air pressure that you use on it will depend on our weight and what frame the shock is on to get your desired sag setting. Volume spacers can be used to fine tune the shock. You need to find out what tune and volume you need for your particular frame. Then go from there.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At 230lb. I don't think it matters what tune or volume came spec'd as most suspensions are targeted around your average 170lb rider. It is quite common for heavier riders to install a low volume sleeve, in place of a HV can, on a Fox shock to firm up the mid-stroke / control bottoming.

mtbr member
    I read the mod thread and it looks doable, also watched a rebuild video for the monarch and it looks like a slightly modified version should have the same affect.

I am a goldsmith by trade so i dont lack the mechanical sense or technical ability/tools. I am going to continue to play with the floodgate and rebound adjustment for the next 4 months to see if i cant get it dialed in that way.

I see push adds in a soft bottom out feature if you go for their full rebuild/mod option.

The main issue im having right now is at low speed on a rooty/rocky climbs i get bogged down due to to much movement in the rear. I may be able to over come this with changing and fine tuning my riding style/skill. But if i go the full out mod route i will document and post pictures.
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They have rubber bands that go between the outer can and inner can to increase the shocks spring curve. More you put in, the more progressive it is. Call Rockshox/SRAM or get them through your bikeshop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    They have rubber bands that go between the outer can and inner can to increase the shocks spring curve. More you put in, the more progressive it is. Call Rockshox/SRAM or get them through your bikeshop.
    would you happen to know the technical name for them?
    2012 Giant Reign 1

mtbr member
    ^ Volume spacers. If you call RS, they will tell you to go to your LBS. I have seen them on Ebay and on internet stores.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    thanks Shawn, its so much easier when i know what im asking for. Makes it easier then a blunt description.
    2012 Giant Reign 1