mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Looking for tips on adjusting a Fox fork with FIT cartridge

I recently had my fork rebuilt. It is an older Float 80, bumped out to the 100 mm option. In addition to new seals, it needed a new cartridge. The shop installed a FIT cartridge. I'm looking for some suggestions on how to adjust it, as in what would be a logical process or order to dialing it in.

mtbr member
    What model FIT cartridge did you end up with?
    What are the compression adjustment options and where are they?
    Compression at top of the fork with low and high speed?
    Rebound on the bottom of the fork leg?

Most FIT options in my experience(except for the new FIT/CTD combo) have a wide range of adjustment that will allow you to really dial in the feel and performance of a fork.

You may not notice one click of adjustment on rebound or compression right away, but you should notice what 2 clicks of adjustments do.

I set sag first, rebound second, then compression, and then dial in both rebound and compression when I get close to an overall feel that I want. It doesn't really matter what order for rebound and compression though because there are several ways to get to the same place. Once you know your baseline settings and preferences, you can easily adjust the suspension to different trails and trail conditions.

To see how the new FIT cartridge works try rebound and compression fully open, fully closed, and then right in the middle. That will give you an idea of the whole range of adjustments and let you see how extreme the feel is from one setting to another.

I assume you're familiar with what compression and rebound damping can do to the feel and performance of your suspension.

If not, check out the tuning tips and troubleshooting tips on the FOX site and that will provide some reference.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

For shorter travel forks like yours, I prefer just enough low speed compression to conform to terrain on tech climbs while still keeping brake dive/fork dive to a minimum on descents and corners.
    For rebound I run the fork slow enough to keep if from topping out, but fast enough so it doesn't pack up and lose travel through a series of multiple hits. With FIT cartridges I get good results running rebound a few clicks slower than what seems fine for the "parking lot bounce test."
    If you've got a high speed compression adjustment, it may take a while before you realize what effects playing with it is having on fork feel and performance. Dialing in low speed compression and rebound is pretty straightforward. High speed compression takes more time on the trails to figure out what's optimal for you, but I'd certainly run a few clicks of high speed compression to start.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks. Lots to digest there. Let me chew on that for a bit...