mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Looking to replace Noleen Mega Air

I love the performance of the mega air but the vulnerability to leak easily is concern. I like the air shocks all around for ride and smoothness. What can I replace it with that is an air operated fork that is durable and wont break the bank. maybe 4-5 beans. its a K2 Zed.X hard tail and I have it set up for street/trail but do freeride also so it needs to hold up. The Mega Air is I believe 3 or 4 inch travel. What can I look at????

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can so many options of forks which will perform better than your old Noleen. I'd recommend taking a look at the RS Reba, Recon (MoCo), Tora (MoCo), and Revelation, the Manitout Minute, and the RS F-series and Float.

EDIT: The Revelation's travel can be reduced via an internal spacer.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 04-08-2010 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    At that price range you have a LOT of good options. Personally, I'd go with a newer Rock Shox Reba or Manitou Minute (both post-08 models if you can). Both are buttery smooth and have proven reliability. The Reba is dual air, which is nice for fine tuning, but can be a pain depending on your personality and how much time you're looking to play around with your bike (personally I love it). As 'bad mechanic' mentioned, a Revelation or FOX F-series would be fine too. Though the Revelation is probably more travel than your K2 should have, and the F-series are typically overpriced.

You can pick up 2010 Man. Minutes on eBay and here for fairly cheap, and the Absolute+ damper is awesome - check the threads around here. This would probably be the better option if you plan on spending more time freeriding and less doing general trail riding.

Also, with your riding style, you should considering moving to a 20mm TA version fork and upgrade your wheel (or 15mm if you go fox).

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have been out of the loop for along time now so I have to get but up to par on the products on the market today. Bikes have been sitting for a long time with LITTLE use. And the first thing I got was a flat fork on the hardtail and frozen calipers on the full suspension.

I like what the manitou has to offer and I just may bump up to 20mm.

Spanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like I have the 80mm Noleen. Will a 100mm hurt the Geometry too much? It has a pretty steep steering angle as it is so will another 20mm make that much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You'll definitely notice the difference and things might get a little "twitchy." More importantly, if you're using this for urban and freeride purposes, the extra slack could put excessive strain on the headtube.

If it were me, I would probably go for it though. You don't want to go any higher than 100mm though. If you want to slacken up your headangle safely on a budget, pick up Pricepoint's "Sette Reken" frame - my buddy has one and loves it. Folks on MTBR love it too - can't go wrong at 80 bucks!

Ride the dream
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFingas
    Looks like I have the 80mm Noleen. Will a 100mm hurt the Geometry too much? It has a pretty steep steering angle as it is so will another 20mm make that much of a difference.
    Whatever you do, don't base that judgement on the suspension travel, base it on the axle-to-crown length.

It's an increase of more than 25mm AtC that will potentially cause stress issues for your headtube, not the increase in travel.

I have no idea what the AtC of your Noleen is (and you're unlikely to find it online) so you'll probably have to measure it.
    AtC measurements for most modern aftermarket forks (ie: probably any you're likely to look at) are easily found online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rockshox and Fox air forks can be lowered with spacers.