mtbr member
    May 2013

Looking for a Girvin, or Look girder fork

Hi guys, my current project has me looking for a girder front fork. Does anybody have one they could part with?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a complete 854 Pro Flex frame and Girvin fork that I will be putting on Ebay next week

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is that one of the newer forks, or older? Has it been upgraded to a real spring shock?

Singletrackmac
    Oct 2012
    Your best bet will probably be Craigslist. I've got all 3 of my girvin/noleen forks through craigs list. I have never been able to get my hands on one through ebay because people bid too much and I can't justify spending that much money on one of these forks, especially if it doesn't have a Noleen or Risse shock.

I picked up a complete Proflex 856 for $150. It came with a Girvin AL and Noleen NR2 shocks front a rear. (The NR2 has pre-load and external damper). The Girvin AL is currently on my Proflex 555 shown in the pic.

The hard tail trek has a Noleen Crosslink fork with a Noleen NR1 (The NR1 has preload, but the damper adjust is internal and set by the factory). I got the crosslink from a complete K2 3000 for $70.

Looking for a Girvin, or Look girder fork-may-girvin-al-side-2.jpg

Looking for a Girvin, or Look girder fork-may-noleen.jpg

Looking for a Girvin, or Look girder fork-trek-6000-crosslink.jpg

There are pretty much 3 types of girvin/noleen linkage forks, the Girvin Vector I & II, the Girvin AL/CL and the Girvin Expert/Elite/Pro Carbon/Noleen Crosslink.
    Not sure what your build is but I think the Girvin Vectors/AL look the coolest, but the Girvin experts/Crosslink are a better fork for riding.
    The difference between the Givin Vecotors and AL/CL is that with the Vector you can't change out the stem because the shock is attached to it. The girvin AL/CL and the Expert/Crosslink have the top of the shock attached to a seperate piece.
    The difference between the AL/CL and Experts/Crosslink is what makes the crosslink a better fork to ride. The Vector/AL/CL have two separate bottom links and the Crosslink has these links combined into one. This makes the fork more stiff and it can't get out of alignment. The crosslink also has a lot less parts wich makes it simpler, but not as cool looking.

Noleen and Risse Racing still make shocks for all girvin/crosslinkforks. Noleen makes coil-overs and Risee has air shocks for them. If you find a fork with either of these shocks they are all rebuildable. Noleen does it for $100 and I am not sure how much Risse charges.

You can also still get new bearing and seal kits on ebay for about $15 each.

Old shcool is the best school.

Good luck finding a good one.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    I have one, girvin, with a coil. Off an 856 proflex. Headed out for a ride can post a pic later if your interested

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mack thanks for the history lesson, that's a lot of use full info. I was able to pick one up from craigslist on Friday. I'm building/converting a 60's Schwinn tandem to an E-bike with the powered hub in front. I've already got one tandem from the same vintage with an 8 speed rear and disc front with a Schwinn style springer fork. The springer fork makes the ride nice, but the braking dive is annoying, and putting a powered wheel on that style fork would be scary. I'm going to try and get the fork on this week to get a feel for it and confirm it'll be stiff enough for a powered hub. The guy I got it from had two of the carbon fiber ones also but they were 1 1/8" and I need 1".

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just stumbled on this thread, and all i can say is that it is so cool to see these older forks still getting use! I remember these when they came out and thought they were so cool (was ~12 at the time). Bravo guys for not making use of this "old" technology. You have a piece of mountain bike history!

mtbr member
    Hey,
    I just sold 2 girvin forks on ebay, long version and standard. The long version I bought new in mid 90's. I still have a noleen girvin that i ride everyday on my dirt jump bike.Looking for a Girvin, or Look girder fork-img_0383.jpg