mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Lizzard Skin (or other) fork boots worth it?

Do these things really make the wipers/fork last longer by keeping dirt and stuff out?

Are they a worth while investment?

eminence front
    From what i've heard, they do more harm than good.

Dirt will always make its way in, and once it gets in, they hold it there longer than it needs to be.

mtbr member
    They work awesome for INVERTED forks (prevents stanchions from getting scratched up) but don't bother for traditional forks.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    they suck functionally, and just look like sh*t

All 26.5" all the time!
    There aren't any good fork boots on the market, and they've been unfashionable for many years.

It wouldn't be too difficult to design boots that worked, but I doubt they'd sell.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    To put it simply: Don't do it. Your seals are there for a reason!

mtbr member
    Proper accordian boots work very well.
    But Lizard skin ones do not, they hold dust and water against the stanchions where they continually rub against the stanchions.

I'm a fan of other lizard skin products, but not their fork or air shock boots.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member

Mr Dougal is correct...

I miss my accordian booties. They saved many a stantion...perhaps too many hence all mfr's discontinuing them? Some folks claim that where it rains a ton the boots might accelerate water into the sliders, I have ridden my booted forks in many a heavy rain and never happened. Of course I maintained mine and made sure the little drain holes at the bottom of the boots were always unobstricted.

I miss bootsy baby...not the dude from the Funkadelics...

Lizard skins on teflon stanchions... JUST SAY NO !!!... will only grind away the teflon surface, dont use em. The skinz do work well on rear coil shocks where they keep lots of crap off the shock shaft and away from the seals.

Bring back the black booties.
    C.SPRINGS

Master of None
    A few years back I searched high and low for some boots and could never find something that would work. I'm just extra careful that I don't set my stanchions on a rock and I've averted disaster so far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hi all, I use lizard skin boots and to be honest I do not find them as bad as you say. Of course, I continue cleaning stanchions after every ride. The difference is that now they have much less dust than before and obviously that can't be bad for the fork.

Those thinking that fork boots will help reducing fork cleaning are completely wrong. Stanchion cleaning should be as regular as ever with fork boots on. They just help some dust from getting stucked on the stanchion while riding.

That's the way I see it

cheers from Spain.