mtbr member
    Nov 2006

light air suspension fork for kid's bike

My 10 year old son is riding a 26" size 13 Mtb that came with a RS Dart (advertised 4.9lbs). Looking to up grade to an air fork that's lighter with some adjustability without breaking the bank. 100mm of travel would be plenty. He weighs 70 lbs. Any ideas?

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Old 28mm SID?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    Old 28mm SID?
    Yep, look for a older (2008 and earlier) SID dual air. Probably have to run 2.5wt oil in the damper too. But you'll end up with a fork that works for light riders and weighs close to 3lbs.

mtbr member
    I am building a 14" Sette Frame (26" wheels, but I'm starting him off with 24" wheels I laced up) with a Manitou R-7, it's pretty light at 3.3 lb or so. He's going to be 8, and rides well on a 20" now that he is starting to outgrow.
    Last edited by Aresab; 05-18-2011 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I realize this thread is old, however are there any updates or is this info still current? I'm looking for a lightweight air shock for my daughter's 26 Myka.
    Thanks
    Bill

Thumper

Kids Sids

Hey Bill, Older sids are the way to go for kids. I have 2 boys mtbing now and both have crazy light sids. I have an extra, yellow sid laying around ready to run. It was on my boys first k2 mtb. Had it built at 17ish lbs. PM me if ya need them. I'm getting ready to unload many bikes and parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Older SIDs, Mag 21s and the Manitou R7s are pretty much the all of the lightweight options with an air spring so you can tweak to your kid's weight. You still see new Manitou R7's with v-brake bosses for $300 new. I'd pay up to $100 for an older SID.

There was also a Spinner Aeris Ti that weighed 1.2kg and seemed to be a good lightweight fork but it'll probably be hard to come by. (Note: the current Spinner Aeris is much heavier and by all accounts a bit cheap and nasty).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks!!! Why are the older SIDs recommended? Because they are less expensive, or lighter, or something else?
    Thanks
    Bill

Thumper
    It's all about budget and I know having four kids, price does come into play. Great thing is hand-me-downs after that.

SIDS are usually just over 2 lbs which is still considered light even by todays standards. Older used forks helps us afford them. Newer ones are nice but the price just goes up. Another good reason it's a common fork and you can still get parts if ever needed.

I paid $150 on good, ready to run SIDS. Keep it in good shape and it will retain it's value when you sell them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bill,

Since I'm in the middle of a similar project for my 9 yo daughter, I also had to answer the same concern: I was looking for air sprung, disc and lightweight. I turned my choice on a SR Suntour Epicon RLD (remote lock out, rebound adjust., 1640 g, 32mm legs, alloy steerer tube). I looked for review coz I was worried about Suntour's fork reputation, but found mostly positive feedbacks concerning that specific 2012 models. At less then 200 $ on ebay, I think it's a goos deal as well.

Of course, the SIDs discussed here also seem like good a choice ... and wickedlite have one too much ...
    Last edited by whtdel; 12-15-2012 at 08:52 AM.