mtbr member

Lazy RP23 "service"

Would pumping a couple of cc's of float fluid into my shock with my the shock pump do most of what an air chamber service does as far a lubricating the air chamber?( with the exception of replacing the seals)

The shock is a year old with 2k miles or so and seems to be working fine and not leaking pressure. But the small amount of float fluid residue it used to leave on the shaft has stopped, so I'm presuming that the air chamber is out of fluid. I've been using honey stick occasionally and for good measure figuring it wouldn't hurt.

waiting for a piece (.45)
    Sounds to me like it should be rebuilt. 1 year old with 2000 miles sounds like the internal oil is need of replacement, plus it's late fall... so maybe squeeze a few more days of riding if the weather allows, but do the service and it'll be ready for next year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You won't be able to get any lube into the negative air chamber without taking it apart.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Looks like youtube time :/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Thanks. Looks like youtube time :/
    Its seriously easier than even the youtube video makes it look. And the youtube video makes it look easy! and the seal kit is $15.

It probably took me more time to remove and install the shock than it did actually doing the service.

Float RP23 Rebuild - YouTube

mtbr member
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike! I'm actually fairly good with a wrench and have plenty of them having maintained my dirt bikes much of my life, but this is new territory for me. I'm on it!
    That is after I order a kit - the LBS doesn't stock it -they acted like it was some technical feat that they always send out to have done. Needless to say I never use them for anything anyways- go figure.

mtbr member
    I'm with the guy who says the damper oil needs changing. The air seals are incidental and can't hurt anything, but you'll be ahead if you take care of the damper. That oil started deteriorating the first time you rode the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    Thanks for the words of encouragement Mike! I'm actually fairly good with a wrench and have plenty of them having maintained my dirt bikes much of my life, but this is new territory for me. I'm on it!
    That is after I order a kit - the LBS doesn't stock it -they acted like it was some technical feat that they always send out to have done. Needless to say I never use them for anything anyways- go figure.
    When I first did my service I ordered two kits.. one for right now and one for next time, that way I have one on hand months down the line when im ready to do it next, or in case a seal goes bad right before a race... Theyre so cheap its hard not to have an extra one on hand.