mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Lack of confidence with new fork: setup or just needs getting used to?

I just swapped out the unresponsive stock Suntour fork on my Hardrock for a Manitou Tower Expert. It feels great and all over everything, but I did realize I lost some control (or maybe it was a confidence thing) in higher speed downhill cornering. I had it setup with around 20% sag, lowest compression damping, and highest rebound damping. Is there anything wrong with that? Or does this just boil down to me not being used to a plushy fork?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Save Jesus
    Quote Originally Posted by steammachine View Post
    , lowest compression damping, and highest rebound damping. Is there anything wrong with that?
    yes

learn to tune your damping.

Can somebody explain high speed damping? (on forks)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=steammachine;9861520]I I had it setup with around 20% sag, lowest compression damping, and highest rebound damping. Is there anything wrong with that?

^ Try running more sag, a little LSC and speed up the rebound. The fork has plenty of user friendly adjustments.

mtbr member
    sweet, I've been quoted! someday I'll get some rep.

What?
    If your running your rebound damper fully closed if will be way to slow when riding at high speed.

mtbr member
    Never want rebound slow imo. It won't track for crap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am new here and new to the world of MTBs, so I gonna ask a noob question(I can't start a thread lol)

My bike came with this fork, by default factory shipped the rebound is set to the minimum I weight 60KG+ (132.277lbs) I checked myself too, the rebound is turned all the way anti-clockwise (minus -) till it can't be turned anymore, but I ain't getting any sag at all? Or coil sprung forks have to be seasoned first (i.e. ridden a while) so that they will be soft?

SR Suntour XCR-RL.
    Link : srsuntour-cycling.com/index.php?screen=sh.detail&tnid=142

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I really mean no offense, but that model of fork is horrible. My father in law has one on his base model Felt 29er and it is junk.

Ride it as-is, or replace with at least a Manitou Tower or Rockshox Recon. Any fork cheaper isn't useful on singletrack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HCR32GTSTYPEM View Post
    I am new here and new to the world of MTBs, so I gonna ask a noob question(I can't start a thread lol)

My bike came with this fork, by default factory shipped the rebound is set to the minimum I weight 60KG+ (132.277lbs) I checked myself too, the rebound is turned all the way anti-clockwise (minus -) till it can't be turned anymore, but I ain't getting any sag at all? Or coil sprung forks have to be seasoned first (i.e. ridden a while) so that they will be soft?

SR Suntour XCR-RL.

Thanks in advance.
    Since the rebound is normally on the bottom of the fork, are you talking about the pre-load
    that is prolly on the top of the left stantion or both (I did'nt look it up yet) ? So being coil sprung, you will have to buy a lighter spring to lower the compression to you weight.
    IF you want to keep them that is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HCR32GTSTYPEM View Post

SR Suntour XCR-RL.

Thanks in advance.

That fork looks better than the one that my hardrock came with:

(SR SUNTOUR Cycling)

but I don't know if that's saying much. I didn't even bother setting sag with preload on mine, simply because it didn't do anything. I rode it for a bit and picked up the tower on ebay. It is seriously night and day. Now, I can not say much for other forks, even though I read up on a bunch of reviews, but the tower definitely feels great.

As an update to my first post, I followed those instructions, tested on stairs, and ended up setting my compression damping knob 1 click towards the higher rate from the middle, and rebound at around the middle. It feels much better now, and I'm not dipping into the bike when I corner.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I really mean no offense, but that model of fork is horrible. My father in law has one on his base model Felt 29er and it is junk.

Ride it as-is, or replace with at least a Manitou Tower or Rockshox Recon. Any fork cheaper isn't useful on singletrack.
    You have me confused. You stated "that model of fork is horrible..... replace it with at least a Manitou Tower..." The original poster asked about his Manitou Tower.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah View Post
    Since the rebound is normally on the bottom of the fork, are you talking about the pre-load
    that is prolly on the top of the left stantion or both (I did'nt look it up yet) ? So being coil sprung, you will have to buy a lighter spring to lower the compression to you weight.
    IF you want to keep them that is.
    Yea opps I meant Preload, I dun think it has rebound setting right since its a low end fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymo853 View Post
    You have me confused. You stated "that model of fork is horrible..... replace it with at least a Manitou Tower..." The original poster asked about his Manitou Tower.
    Sorry. I was replying on my phone, and didn't quote the latest message, the one immediately previous to mine. You can see that a totally different person also has a basic Suntour fork and they need to do what the OP did. -- Or just live with it, if they don't have ~$350-400 to spend on a new fork.

mtbr member
    You can find an ok shock for $180- $210 on sale this time of year, wont be high end but will do the job fine for a while. Like RS Recon silver solo air or Marzocchi Marathon at bluesky, to name a couple.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just following up again...Although tuning the fork did help, I realized I was still feeling sketchy in corners (both on quick single track turns and big sweepers). Something I neglected to mention initially because people were saying it would be fine, was that my new fork is 20mm longer than the original. Remembering that, I decided to take ~18mm of spacers out beneath the stem, and it felt great. Putting more weight on the front allowed traction and confidence to come back, but it did feel a little more sketchy down the steep rough parts. All in all, it was definitely worth it and fixed the problem.

mtbr member
    If I know that I'll be doing some steeps, I like to stiffen up my preload or use the motion control if
    it's an option I have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you stiffen so it won't dip as much?

I'd imagine if its rough AND steep, you wouldn't want to stiffen too much, right?

mtbr member
    I try to make it to where it wont dive on me, but some forks like coil spring, you almost need to lock it out. If rough and steep I go slow to where I dont need much travel, but faster speeds you will want some for sure. It takes a while to find a good sweet spot i guess. I need to look at the tower's specs lol.

mtbr member
    I see you have lots of damping on that so you'll have to play with all the settings to find what works the best for you.
    Thats the hard part, but well worth it in the end. I'm still playing with all my settings on my Reba's too.