mtbr member
    Feb 2004

K2 Noleen Mega Air rear shock

I just purchased a 2002 K2 Razorback from Supergo and I got it home last night. This is my first full suspension bike and after shopping around I think I got a great deal (paid $750). Once the bike was assembled I noticed 2 things. 1. When I sit on the bike the rear shock grounds out (I am 5'10"/170) 2. The bike did not come with any manuals or accessories for the rear shock.

I assume that the rear shock needs air and that is why it grounds out. However, with out the correct pump I can't fit my regular bike pump onto the top valve of the shock with out taking apart the tuning dial and since I don't know much about how this shock works, I really dont want to be taking it all apart. I have been searching all over the web and I can't find too much info on the Noleen shock, never mind accessories for it. Any ideas how to correctly adjust this shock and/or where I can find information on it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

If it is anything like there forks your best bet is to throw it in the trash.

...and look to buy a cheap Fox float off Ebay (there are a ton of them there.) However, if you want to play with it, shock pumps run $20 to $30 bucks and include a handy pressure gauge and pressure release button. Many airshocks run pressures close to your weight or just below....so if you weigh 150 you might pump it to 150psi. You don't want to overpressurize it and blow a seal so you should add a little air at a time and see where that leaves you.

Danny

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Here you go

Try searching the K2 site heres the link http://www.k2bikes.com/01site/access..._air_fork.html try looking around there. I just recently purchased a Noleen Mega air front fork and I have to say its much better than my 02 Sid sl that came stock on my NRS.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

Wink

Yeah, um.... so talking about the REAR shock...

You definitely need a shock pump. Fortunately they are pretty cheap. I wish i could give you more input than that, but the only noleen rear shock i have is a coil over unit. To take it out, though, is pretty simple - just undo the bolts that clamp to the body of the shock (the moving part) and then undo the bolt that goes through the shock eye (the pivot at the frame). Slide shock out and do what you will.

(i only think this is correct)
    If you don't have the remote lockout, you should be able to simply flip the shock over inthe frame so the air valve points down, giving you plenty of clearance to fill it up. Or you just get a 90* adapter.

Ignore the stuff about getting a fox float - what he is talking about simply won't fit with your frame. Your bike should be a lot of fun and a good first time full suspension ride (meaning it is on the more "hardtail"ish end of the FS spectrum).

Enjoy the bike (after you get that shock pump)!

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    ...and look to buy a cheap Fox float off Ebay (there are a ton of them there.) However, if you want to play with it, shock pumps run $20 to $30 bucks and include a handy pressure gauge and pressure release button. Many airshocks run pressures close to your weight or just below....so if you weigh 150 you might pump it to 150psi. You don't want to overpressurize it and blow a seal so you should add a little air at a time and see where that leaves you.

Danny
    Dude, you really have an issue with the Noleens seemingly because you got a dud Mega Air and instead of doing the smart thing and sending it back under warranty to eDiscount, you decided to p!ss and moan here everytime you see a post with the word Noleen in it. All of the happy Noleen users on Save Some Weight cant be wrong.
    If you knew anything about the Razorbacks you would know that it runs a pull shock so your "answer" about getting a Fox Float will not work.
    By the way. Got my Noleen Mega Air during the week and it is as smooth as any other fork I have ever used straight out of the box. Minimal stiction and this will go pretty quickly as it gets used.

joejm14
    Enjoy that Razorback. I looked at one of them seriously before I got my NRS. As I said above I have one of the Noleen Mega Air forks and I think it is as good as any fork I have ridden. Pimpbot who posts here has one of them to and last I "spoke" to him he was more than happy with it.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Bzzzzt Wrong! But thanks for playing...

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster

Danny
    The noleen rear air pull shocks are a breeze to service and very reliable. As for MegaAir forks, the 2000's had a bottom out bumper related problem (2001s got bottom out bumpers in both sides as a result), and some people seem incapable of replacing a simple o-ring occassionally and would rather ignore the manual, never maintain the forks, and are then shocked when an air leak develops.

You can't even fit a Fox shock to a 2002 or earlier Razorback. God, the morons they let onto this site these days....

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by toowoombarider
    Dude, you really have an issue with the Noleens seemingly because you got a dud Mega Air and instead of doing the smart thing and sending it back under warranty to eDiscount, you decided to p!ss and moan here everytime you see a post with the word Noleen in it. All of the happy Noleen users on Save Some Weight cant be wrong.
    Has he ever actually bought one? Three weeks ago he was posting in one of the other megaair fork threads saying all he's ever READ about them are air leaks. Somehow strikes me that someone reading about the forks hasn't actually owned one. Ediscount sells the forks with manuals. Not hard to read the manual, take apart the fork, and replace a faulty o-ring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    The noleen rear air pull shocks are a breeze to service and very reliable.
    K2 has an item named "K007021". Itís a toolkit for Noleen Mega Air rear shock.

Did you use it? Is it possible to overhaul the shock without it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am getting work done on my, I think 01, or maybe 00, razorback's rear shock. My shop called k2 to find out what option are available, which I decided to go with the seal kit, much less expensive than a replacement. BUT, k2 indicated they have a buy back option where they would sell me a fox shock in place of the old Noleen rear shock. Don't know all the details of the conversation, but I would have to believe they would verify the frame or year if it was an issue.