Thread: Judy Butter

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Judy Butter

Does anyone know a cheaper replacement for Judy Butter? Judy Butter seems so expensive for the little amount you get. Can I just use a non-lithium based grease?

TIA

Former Bike Wrench
    I wouldn't recommend a grease unless its real light...regular grease is just too thick. You can get Buzzy's Slick Honey in a larger amount for just a little more than Judy Butter. But both Slick Honey and Judy Butter will probably work better than thicker non-lithium grease.

El Pollo Diablo
    re: judy butter...
    thoughts on possible expiration date?
    aka, is it possible for it to 'go bad?'
    I have a plastic can of it circa 98 or so, about 95% full...
    I'd imagine it would still work?
    (for curiosity's sake more than anything else.)

mtbr member
    Has anyone used vaseline instead? (for the fork I mean)

mtbr member
    IIRC vaseline breaks down some types of rubber/silicone seals. I'd be more comfortable using some superlube grease w/ PTFE (teflon), or something similar, which is pretty cheap & easily available at a hardware store.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    I have been using a mixture of synthetic engine oil and vaselline. 1 part oil, 3 parts vaselline, works great with no ill effects! However, Shockspital is selling Buzzy's lube for pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    IMO Judy butter is best left for hubs and pedals. It has been known to cause swelling of bushes in some forks.

Slick honey, Manitou Prep-M and Pedros Syngrease have worked great for me on forks that aren't oil tight.
    If forks are oil tight, then just use oil.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i have just ordered some manitou m prep for my forks and some 15 WT fluid, lots of people have recommended m prep to me so i am going to give it a crack when it arrives, i serviced my lyriks the other week with some 15wt fluid and some floatfluid for the seals, but i am going to see how they perform with m prep on the seals and report back,

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I picked up some of this stuff at my local motorcycle shop. This is what they use on their moto forks. It looks, smells, and tastes like Judy Butter though Judy Butter feels a little stickier. It was only like 6 bucks for this tub.
    It's called Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease, and you can find it for sale online if you do a search..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Judy Butter-judybutter.jpg  

Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

judy butter color change

the judy butter I have is an amber color. anyone know how long ago they changed to the green color? anyone know if this stuff turns bad?

Former Bike Wrench
    Interesting, I use Bel Ray Grease for my general purpose grease...but I can't imagine it for a fork.

That container looks nothing like the any Judy Butter container I've ever seen and as mentioned above it should be amber colored. Not to mention it comes in 1oz containers and that one shown is clearly larger. Something smells fishy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah, the judy butter container I've seen is about the size of a stack of 6-8 silver dollars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Not to mention it comes in 1oz containers and that one shown is clearly larger.
    Judy Butter comes in 1oz and 5oz containers (or at least it used to).
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    Judy Butter comes in 1oz and 5oz containers (or at least it used to).
    I used it for a lot of years in shops and I never saw it that color or in that container...where did you get that from?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I used it for a lot of years in shops and I never saw it that color or in that container...where did you get that from?
    I think I got it from Icycles, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I got it a few years ago, and at that time Judy Butter was very hard to find. It was a little old and dusty looking when I got it and it didn't say SRAM anywhere on it, so I assumed it was made prior to the Sram purchase or during the transition shortly after. It may be that they were temporarily sourcing this stuff from a different supplier and labeled it "New Improved" as a way of not having to explain why the color changed. I'm kind of doubting that Rock Shox ever had their own "formula" for this stuff anyway. They more likely just purchased some existing lube from someone and had it packaged under their brand.

Back to the Bel-ray stuff, as I mentioned before I got this from my local motorcycle shop. This is what they use on their moto forks and the label specifically says that it won't swell seals and o-rings. I like this stuff and plan on using it for most of my bike greasing needs (and I grease everything). I also get all my fork oil from my moto shop. I'm done with having to hunt down and pay rediculous amounts for bike-fork-brand-specific lubes. Someone posted I nice cross-reference on these forums a while back that shows the actual viscosities of a whole bunch of moto and bike fork oils, it's very helpful.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Here's the jar I've had since 1997:

It would be interesting to know just what this stuff is. Knowing how the bicycle industry works, it's probably the least costly NLGI 1 (pumpable) general purpose grease they could find. Then, of course, the marketing people hype it beyond belief and charge a small fortune for it. I'd bet the container cost more on a wholesale level then the grease contained in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    This is slightly off-topic, but here are the links to info on suspension fluids I mentioned previously. Useful in saving some money by not buying bike/fork brands, but also useful in tuning your suspension damping.

http://www.mediaturbo.com/clients/ma...viscosity.html

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    > It would be interesting to know just what this stuff is. Knowing how the bicycle industry
    > works, it's probably the least costly NLGI 1 (pumpable) general purpose grease they could
    > find. Then, of course, the marketing people hype it beyond belief and charge a small
    > fortune for it. I'd bet the container cost more on a wholesale level then the grease
    > contained in it

EXACTLY why I started this tread.

I put marketing in the same group of low-lifes as salesmen, lawyers and politicians. They all spin lies and cover their ass for a living

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville
    I think I got it from Icycles, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I got it a few years ago, and at that time Judy Butter was very hard to find. It was a little old and dusty looking when I got it and it didn't say SRAM anywhere on it, so I assumed it was made prior to the Sram purchase or during the transition shortly after. It may be that they were temporarily sourcing this stuff from a different supplier and labeled it "New Improved" as a way of not having to explain why the color changed. I'm kind of doubting that Rock Shox ever had their own "formula" for this stuff anyway. They more likely just purchased some existing lube from someone and had it packaged under their brand.

Back to the Bel-ray stuff, as I mentioned before I got this from my local motorcycle shop. This is what they use on their moto forks and the label specifically says that it won't swell seals and o-rings. I like this stuff and plan on using it for most of my bike greasing needs (and I grease everything). I also get all my fork oil from my moto shop. I'm done with having to hunt down and pay rediculous amounts for bike-fork-brand-specific lubes. Someone posted I nice cross-reference on these forums a while back that shows the actual viscosities of a whole bunch of moto and bike fork oils, it's very helpful.
    Interesting...could be, I was doing warranty in the early 2000's and Rock Shox was getting very erratic around that time before the SRAM acquisition so who knows what they were shipping out.

I also get most of my bicycle lubricants from my local moto shop including the same Bel-Ray Grease as well as fork oil...and I'm at least one of the "Someones" who has posted the viscosity chart that is found here. The Bel-Ray grease feels very sticky while Slick Honey and Judy Butter feel slick (so much that dropping tools becomes more frequent when I get this crap on my fingers) and given the fact that a bicycle fork works under a lot less load than a moto fork...I would guess you'd get increased stiction using the Bel-Ray on anything more than a few O-rings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Funny coincidence, but I was reading through a 1999 Judy service manual today and noticed that all references to Judy Butter in the manual are listed as "New and Improved Judy Butter", which is what the container I have says. You'll also note that my container says "Super Sticky", and it is very sticky. That's why I haven't really been using it, it just seems too sticky for typical grease applications. It is definitely stickier than the Bel-ray grease I have.