mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Italian-Made Marzocchi Z1 FR SL vs. the AM SL

Looking at fork options for my all mountain On-One Inbred 456 and like the older Italian-made Marzocchi stuff. Got it narrowed to the 04-06 All Mtn SL and the Z1 FR SL. Thoughts?

banned
    I had a 04 FR Z1 Sl and it was a great fork with hundreds of SOCAL miles with not one problem. I sold the bike before the fork needed any work...

No known cure
    Keep an eye out for a 06 Z1 Light. It was made for only one year. It has six inches of travel which can be adjusted down and RC2 damping.

Marzocchi Z.1 Light Eta 2006 Front Shocks Reviews
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Excellent! I have a pretty good source for this stuff so i will check the light out and see what he has.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    [QUOTE=Vader;8879282]Keep an eye out for a 06 Z1 Light. It was made for only one year. It has six inches of travel which can be adjusted down and RC2 damping.
    /QUOTE]

One question...it looks like the Light is 20mm TA. No problem with the wheels I have but I have a roof rack with i believe copperhead trays. At any rate its a yakima fork mount tray. How big of a pain in the a$$ is the front wheel removal for transport.after you buy the adapter for the tray to fit the bigger axle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    For general trail riding I prefer the TST dampener on the AM series, easier to reach down and adjust the fork for whatever terrain you were riding. But going downhill the rc2 dampener on the z1 just keeps the front tire glued to the ground in a way the tst cannot match. I blew 2 tst bladders under warranty before doing a rc2 swap on my '05 sl, I just wanted a more reliable dampener.