Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 107
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,161
    Will it creak more or less than the modern csu?

  2. #77
    Waiting for peace
    Reputation: SpecialWarr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    357
    God I hope not.... but as mentioned above... Blingy!!

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kiwiplague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,119
    Start saving boys and girls, MRSP is $1776usd! - More info from interbike - X-Fusion's Radical Revel HLR - Interbike 2013 - Pinkbike
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,375
    Ho
    Lee
    She
    Eat

    That's about $500 more than I was expecting, plus a run of just two hundred units. They weren't messing around when they said it was 'exclusive,'

    Ah well, with any luck it'll sell out rapid-like and there'll be a more mass production version, I still want one, even if it'll have to be second hand!

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,788
    Only 200 made with free lifetime service. Sounds like 200 guinea pigs are going to get a fork. Mark my words, In about a year they'll be having them made in Asia, at half the price. Right after the Guinea pigs work out the bugs for them.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gerth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    379

    Inverted X-Fusion

    At that price it better come with a pit bull to guard the damn thing so it doesn't get stolen!
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kiwiplague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,119
    You'd have to wonder whether they would make any money on only 200 forks, even at that price. I would have thought the R&D costs alone would make it hard to sell a very limited number of forks. Unless, like mentioned before, eventually they will make a cheaper version in Taiwan.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

  8. #83
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    You'd have to wonder whether they would make any money on only 200 forks, even at that price. I would have thought the R&D costs alone would make it hard to sell a very limited number of forks. Unless, like mentioned before, eventually they will make a cheaper version in Taiwan.
    I think you're spot on. 1776 X 200= $355,200. Sounds like a lot of money, but I would bet its not enough to cover the R&D and manufacturing costs. At best they are breaking even. But in all honesty, its probably not about the money. Making the first lightweight/ torsionally stiff inverted single crown would go a long way in pushing X fusion to the top of the suspension market.

  9. #84
    MattSavage
    Reputation: mattsavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    2,432
    I don't think they need to make money on this... All the low cost oem stuff they pump out pays for it and then some. As in most industries, some companies just make things over the top cause they can.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

    Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

  10. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I don't think they need to make money on this... lost the lowest oem stuff they pump out pays for it and then some. As in most industries, some companies just make things over the top cause they can.
    I agree with this. It's like the LFA is to lexus, they lose money on every one they make, but it drums up interest and sales in the lower price bracket. As X Fusion isn't at the level of the Fox or RS brand names in terms of recognition, this could make a difference in the long term. It is a cool fork, though excessive in almost every facet.

  11. #86
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Unless, like mentioned before, eventually they will make a cheaper version in Taiwan.
    Definitively I will wait for that one.

    I think it's a marketing stunt to pump up brand recognition as mentioned... and if it works, then they will trickle it down.

    It's a little disturbing that people pay these prices, though... it just gives ground to up the prices all along. If a 1700usd fork sells, a 1400 version will look like a bargain. But it is just the nature of the beast, so please dismiss my rant.
    Check my Site

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,788
    If it works, it will trickle down. If you think about it, the hole thing is genius. They get brand recognition. 200 people will be the envy of everyone. X-fusion will get lots of feedback from these 200 forks being serviced for free, and I'm sure they will provide upgrades when needed, at no cost. The fork is beautiful, it's a work of art. And, if you think about it $1700 for what is essentially a hand made works level fork is really a bargain, as long as it performs as advertised. And to summarize, if it works as promised, it will trickle down.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  13. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fix the Spade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    It's a little disturbing that people pay these prices, though... it just gives ground to up the prices all along. If a 1700usd fork sells, a 1400 version will look like a bargain. But it is just the nature of the beast, so please dismiss my rant.
    There is an irony to X Fusion doing it though. The technology in their 450 forks (and the quality) is better than what certain other brands are selling for double, their Vengeance forks are 200 less than Lyriks and 3-400 less than Fox, Marzocchi and Bos, but better made than all three.

    If it's the beginning of a price hike drive I wouldn't be surprised (but still disappointed), on the other hand if this thing is the prelude to an upside down fork priced to match Bos and co I'd be delighted (and buying one). More than the Vengeance, but with the extra cool stuff to justify it.

  14. #89

  15. #90
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,389
    Travel options are 120-140 for the 29er and 160 for 650B
    I have a 160mm pike on my 29er, lighter, with bigger stanchions and a forged crown (that welded crown freaks me out, such a critical part of the fork).

    This fork is answering a question that no one is asking. Even the fox 34 is lighter. It's the same reason people bought the Shiver SC and Dorado SC though, because they were unique. It seems like this fork has some decent engineering to keep it from being too much of a noodle, but the sacrifices made to get there don't interest me at all.

    I MIGHT consider paying $1700 for something that is a half a pound lighter than the lightest fork in the travel class, while at the same time being stiffer and better damped. At least if I had money to throw away I'd definitely entertain the thought under those circumstances. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on something that's inferior out of the gate (but looks like a million dollars).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  16. #91
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have a 160mm pike on my 29er, lighter, with bigger stanchions and a forged crown (that welded crown freaks me out, such a critical part of the fork).

    This fork is answering a question that no one is asking. Even the fox 34 is lighter. It's the same reason people bought the Shiver SC and Dorado SC though, because they were unique. It seems like this fork has some decent engineering to keep it from being too much of a noodle, but the sacrifices made to get there don't interest me at all.

    I MIGHT consider paying $1700 for something that is a half a pound lighter than the lightest fork in the travel class, while at the same time being stiffer and better damped. At least if I had money to throw away I'd definitely entertain the thought under those circumstances. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on something that's inferior out of the gate (but looks like a million dollars).
    I guess it all works out then, With only 200 being made, I doubt you would be able to get one even if you wanted it.

    You're also comparing the wrong type of forks to it. Its designed to compete with the Lyrik/ Fox 36 line.

  17. #92
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,389
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I guess it all works out then, With only 200 being made, I doubt you would be able to get one even if you wanted it.

    You're also comparing the wrong type of forks to it. Its designed to compete with the Lyrik/ Fox 36 line.
    Really? You realize there are Fox 34s available with 150mm of travel, even in 29er models, Pike up to 160mm of travel across all wheel sizes, manitou just announced their take on the genre too-also 160mm and about 4lbs if I recall, I'm thinking this fork is about 5 years too late, but that's kind of the progression that you'd expect, because a right-side up fork has always been a much more efficient platform, especially when comparing non-double-crown forks. I'm thinking the Fox 36 and lyric sales are taking a nose-dive as we speak, given how many pikes have flooded the market. Those things are being stocked on all sorts of bikes and selling aftermarket like nose-candy. I wouldn't be surprised if it's their biggest relative seller ever(discounting the extremely low end OEM stuff).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,788
    It will all bepend on its performances. And don't forget, the important part of the fork, in this case, the lower legs, are going to be lighter then any other fork.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  19. #94
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It will all bepend on its performances. And don't forget, the important part of the fork, in this case, the lower legs, are going to be lighter then any other fork.
    You mean the fallacy of less unsprung weight? You realize cast lowers are extremely light, the old aluminum 35mm 170-180mm 66 chassi lowers were .75lbs, so compared to a newer asysmetric casting out of aluminum or magnesium, they are probably a little heavier than a modern casting for a similar travel fork.

    But of course on an inverted fork there's the stanchions, the lower part of the damping mechanism/damping rod connected to the piston, any oil in there, the dropouts, and the axle, which are not weightless. But it doesn't stop there, then you got the brake caliper and adapter, rotor, hub, spokes, nipples, rim, rim strip, tire, sealant or tube, and so on. When you add all that up, the maybe 50g you are saving by having an upside down fork is lost in the huge amount of unsprung weight on there. If you can tell a 2% reduction in unsprung weight, then that's pretty awesome. There is no significant disparity in unsprung weight, in fact, it likely ends up almost exactly the same.

    I'd like to believe that things will depend on the performance (which includes chassi performance), but weight and performance together are what drive the markets in mountain biking. No one bought the avalanche forks because no one wanted a 10lb fork. Craig said he had to make them that stout to resist twisting and everything else that the design was susceptible to because he didn't have the resources for cast lowers, but of course weight won out against performance, and then eventually we were able to have both. I am blowing it a little out of proportion by discussing the fact that it's half a pound heavier at it's claimed weight than the competition, but I don't think you're going to hear or see anything more along these lines for a while. You can make something just as good but lighter that costs less.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  20. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Bike Rumor posted about the pic. They wrote that X fusion is hoping for a 2015 release date. Thats to far away!
    Yeah, X-Fusion says 2015 which means more like 2017 if it's anything like how long it's taking to get the Sweep to market, now with a supposed ETA of Dec. 2013. Lost count how many times it's been pushed back. Maybe to much time spent on this project?

  21. #96
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Really? You realize there are Fox 34s available with 150mm of travel, even in 29er models, Pike up to 160mm of travel across all wheel sizes, manitou just announced their take on the genre too-also 160mm and about 4lbs if I recall, I'm thinking this fork is about 5 years too late, but that's kind of the progression that you'd expect, because a right-side up fork has always been a much more efficient platform, especially when comparing non-double-crown forks. I'm thinking the Fox 36 and lyric sales are taking a nose-dive as we speak, given how many pikes have flooded the market. Those things are being stocked on all sorts of bikes and selling aftermarket like nose-candy. I wouldn't be surprised if it's their biggest relative seller ever(discounting the extremely low end OEM stuff).
    Im not saying the Pike or fox 34 are bad forks. Im saying they have RT3 and CTD dampers which are clearly designed for trail/AM use. Lyrik, Fox 36, and the Revel have true high and low speed compression adjustments and are made for for the heavy AM and into the FR side of riding.

    Manitous Mattoc is somewhere in between. Top of the line Pro model is 4.2 lbs with the Expert coming in at 4.4 and the Comp at 4.9lbs.




    As for your avalanche making a 10lbs DH fork comment, a 10lbs fork is ridiculous when there are 6-7 lbs options elsewhere. Thats nowhere in the ballpark of comparing a 4.5 lb fork to 4.1lb forks.

  22. #97
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,389
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Im not saying the Pike or fox 34 are bad forks. Im saying they have RT3 and CTD dampers which are clearly designed for trail/AM use. Lyrik, Fox 36, and the Revel have true high and low speed compression adjustments and are made for for the heavy AM and into the FR side of riding.
    RCT3 or CTD is not the damper, just an explanation of some of the adjustments. Both have high-speed shims and can be adjusted, just more of a pain to do so. The RCT3 is up there with recent technology, in terms of a closed cart not susceptible to cavitation with true high and low-speed circuits. As I understand it, the CTD comes in FIT and open bath flavors? Even "high speed" adjustments are often not really that, as it doesn't rearrange the shims when you turn a dial. Usually it just preloads the shims more, which isn't really the same thing (hence, custom tunes).
    Manitous Mattoc is somewhere in between. Top of the line Pro model is 4.2 lbs with the Expert coming in at 4.4 and the Comp at 4.9lbs.

    As for your avalanche making a 10lbs DH fork comment, a 10lbs fork is ridiculous when there are 6-7 lbs options elsewhere. Thats nowhere in the ballpark of comparing a 4.5 lb fork to 4.1lb forks.
    No, this was years ago when avalanche was 10lbs, a Dorado Pro with int. stem was 8.04, shivers were 8.7, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  23. #98
    What?
    Reputation: mullen119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    RCT3 or CTD is not the damper, just an explanation of some of the adjustments. Both have high-speed shims and can be adjusted, just more of a pain to do so. The RCT3 is up there with recent technology, in terms of a closed cart not susceptible to cavitation with true high and low-speed circuits. As I understand it, the CTD comes in FIT and open bath flavors? Even "high speed" adjustments are often not really that, as it doesn't rearrange the shims when you turn a dial. Usually it just preloads the shims more, which isn't really the same thing (hence, custom tunes).

    No, this was years ago when avalanche was 10lbs, a Dorado Pro with int. stem was 8.04, shivers were 8.7, etc.
    All suspension has some form of high and low speed compression if it has a compression damper.even the lowly TK damper from Rock Shox has a crude hsc blow off. Giving riders only a couple of options on LSC or HSC adjustments is no ideal for heavy am light fr uses. Hence the mission control, rc2, and hlr dampers that give you these options. Having to chose from preset climb, trail. Or descend modes is not ideal for aggressive riding when pointed down

    Using a spring to preload a shim stack usually results into the equivalent of adding one or two base shims when fully preloaded. So you are essentially changing the stack. Not to the point of custom tuning, but that's no what we are talking about.

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Definitively I will wait for that one.

    I think it's a marketing stunt to pump up brand recognition as mentioned... and if it works, then they will trickle it down.

    It's a little disturbing that people pay these prices, though... it just gives ground to up the prices all along. If a 1700usd fork sells, a 1400 version will look like a bargain. But it is just the nature of the beast, so please dismiss my rant.
    I demo'd an $11,000 bike (SC Bronson) at the fat tire festival in Fruita this year... Apparently there's at least a few folks willing to part with mind blowing $$ for cool bike stuff.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    150

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •