Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Is it me, or do the legs look a little on the thin side?
    I'd hazard a guess that the uppers are extruded or CNC and anodized rather than cast and powder coated. They do look skinnier than normal cast lowers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    I'd hazard a guess that the uppers are extruded or CNC and anodized rather than cast and powder coated. They do look skinnier than normal cast lowers.
    I'd opt for the legs being turned on a lathe since it is a prototype. I doubt that they would invest the money to make the required tooling to extrude or forge a prototype. Casting would not be a good fit for this application. It would be super sweet if they produced a one piece forged steer tube/crown/upper leg assembly...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    I'd opt for the legs being turned on a lathe since it is a prototype. I doubt that they would invest the money to make the required tooling to extrude or forge a prototype. Casting would not be a good fit for this application. It would be super sweet if they produced a one piece forged steer tube/crown/upper leg assembly...
    They most probably are.

If you look closely at the pictures in the original article, even the crown bridge looks machined.

Check my Site

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    They most probably are.

If you look closely at the pictures in the original article, even the crown bridge looks machined.

Could be cast then machined. Alot of companies do that on components to fine tune the material.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Could be cast then machined. Alot of companies do that on components to fine tune the material.
    Yeah, but for casting you can do only one mold (relatively on the cheap) besides, it would not be as strong for a crown.

I still don't think it's extruded/forged. That involves making expensive tooling unless what they're showing is an advanced prototype or sharing parts with something in production or close to be... or that was in production like the Specialized inverted fork? Wasn't that one made by X-Fusion?.
    Check my Site

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    I..... It would be super sweet if they produced a one piece forged steer tube/crown/upper leg assembly...
    .... and carbon-fiber as an option, which could be lighter, stiffer, and more durable than aluminum.

A one piece steer tube/crown/upper leg could be close to the same stiffness, if not stiffer, and much lighter as a double-crown/triple-clamp design.

Now broadcasting from CO
    This thing is badass, and looks like it would be able to fit all wheel sizes. If they can make it stiff and light it should sell like hotcakes.
    Brought to you by rocks.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    .... and carbon-fiber as an option, which could be lighter, stiffer, and more durable than aluminum.

A one piece steer tube/crown/upper leg could be close to the same stiffness, if not stiffer, and much lighter as a double-crown/triple-clamp design.
    As much as I love carbon, I hope that they stick with aluminum. I think the price may be out of reach for a lot of people (including me) if they go the carbon fiber route.

mtbr member
    They would do carbon till they prove that Al is going to work.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

What?
    Bike Rumor posted about the pic. They wrote that X fusion is hoping for a 2015 release date. Thats to far away!

mtbr member
    Perfect, it'll be time for a new fork about then.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    They most probably are.

Yeah, the proto was machined on a mill. You can see the tool path in the finish. Final product won't be 3d milled like that. Cheaper for proto work. Too slow otherwise.

mtbr member
    I'll wait for one. It'll be worth it to have something that's not just the same recycled designs with more gimmicks attached (FIT, CTD, Motion Control, U-turn, TST2). I'm sick of gimmicks on mediocre forks instead of solid, properly damped designs. They can have all the adjustable travel, remote lockout, dual-air cr@p back; just give me a fork that feels like an Ohlins (which is USD, of course... oh, and stiff as well, thank you very much). Save us from the endless parade of pedestrian clone junk. Do it, X-Fusion. Do it soon. Do it for Mankind.

What?
    At this point, I would consider buying a vengeance instead. Or if Manitou comes out with a 160-170mm fork with TPC+, I would be all over it. But they have been claiming one is in the works for 3 years now, So I am not holding my breath.

For that matter, I might just buy an Avy cartridge for my Lyrik and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    I'll wait for one. It'll be worth it to have something that's not just the same recycled designs with more gimmicks attached (FIT, CTD, Motion Control, U-turn, TST2). I'm sick of gimmicks on mediocre forks instead of solid, properly damped designs. They can have all the adjustable travel, remote lockout, dual-air cr@p back; just give me a fork that feels like an Ohlins (which is USD, of course... oh, and stiff as well, thank you very much). Save us from the endless parade of pedestrian clone junk. Do it, X-Fusion. Do it soon. Do it for Mankind.
    I love my Dual Air!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have just found a very interesting picture on a German site. If it's true then X-Fusion have done something with the question of stiffness for their new USD fork.
    X-Fusion Nabe PlusHub 35 110mm/35, 32-Loch - Gewicht von Teilen auf der Waage - MTB-News.de
    Name:  medium_IMAG2189.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  60.8 KB
    ___
    2012 On-One Inbred 29er (custom ht w/2x10, trail, fun & race bike)
    2013 On-One Lurcher Carbon SS (in progress)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    I have just found a very interesting picture on a German site. If it's true then X-Fusion have done something with the question of stiffness for their new USD fork.
    X-Fusion Nabe PlusHub 35 110mm/35, 32-Loch - Gewicht von Teilen auf der Waage - MTB-News.de
    Name:  medium_IMAG2189.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  60.8 KB
    That's the hub from the x-fusion delta 8 USD fork which was developed by bionicon as the 'special agent' and produced by x-fusion, 6 years ago. Notice the 4 bolt disc mount.

mtbr member
    X-Fusion Revel HLR Fork - First Look - Pinkbike

It's happening!

My wallet's already got up and run away.

Confirmed from a year ago, it's using keyed stanchions like the HiLo does, although it would seem to have three per stanchion as opposed to two.

160mm travel, 20mm axle, HLR damper, 650b and 29er models only. Although in practice the 650 is just a 26er with a bit more offset.

Guesses on price anyone? I'm thinking 900-1000 Euro region to compete with Bos/ 36s and Pikes.

Also, DVO, X Fusion, German A and seemingly Ohlins too, the world's going upside down...

mtbr member
    That thing is blingy as f#@^.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    X-Fusion Revel HLR Fork - First Look - Pinkbike

It's happening!

Also, DVO, X Fusion, German A and seemingly Ohlins too, the world's going upside down...
    Gotta say, i like the design of the crown from the proto much better than this (assumed) production model.

Nice to see a few manufacturers thinking of different ways to help with torsional stiffness to get these USD forks to market.

mtbr member

Just the colour to go with my teeth...

mtbr member
    ****, I hope they make it in red, or I'll have to buy all new gold parts.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    The production models will likely come with black and white options, like everything else X Fusion sells.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Inverted X-Fusion

Sub

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deematic View Post
    Sub
    sandwich
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT