mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Indy C Replacement

I have an older (98) Raleigh M400 that I have replaced almost everything on, except the front fork. It came with an Indy C, and that served me well for many years, seeing as I mostly only rode trails in Michigan and Wisconsin (Flat). Now I want to replace it, it seems to be bottoming out much more often than it used to. I don't want to spend too much money on a new one, maybe a couple hundred at most. I am looking for suggestions for a good alternative. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    rock shox dart 2/3 would be a good choice. One is 80mm, the other is 100mm. Forget which is which. Very reasonable price. I'm pretty sure the Indy C had an elastomer (my 97 Indy S had one.) The RS Darts are simple, no-frills coil.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Another M400 owner? Gee, and I thought I was the last one! My story is exactly the same as yours -- pretty much swapped out everything over the years. The only original parts are the brake levers and seat collar.

Early last year I found a killer deal (less than $200) on a Marzocchi MX Pro ETA/TAS and put that on. So that it didn't throw off the geometry too much, I adjusted it down to 100mm (I think that is the minimum possible). The handling, as expected, did change but after a few rides I was used to the difference and am quite happy that I upgraded (that Indy C was junk). Since then, I've popped for a new ride (a 2008 EX8 which I just got a few weeks ago -- it was time to step up to a 'full sauce' ride) but still really like the ol' M400.

With that said, in my opinion, I'd say unless you can find a great deal on a fork, save your $$ and upgrade to a totally new ride. If I were to do it again, I would have skipped the upgarde, and put that money toward a new ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tagalong_mn
    The handling, as expected, did change but after a few rides I was used to the difference and am quite happy that I upgraded (that Indy C was junk)..
    I guess that was my real question, was it a drastic change going from 80mm to 100mm? I have found several forks on e-bay that I think would work fine, I was just concerned about the change in geometry on the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I wouldn't say that the change in handling was "drastic". At the time, I also swapped out the bars and stem (the stem was virtually the same length -- the bars were low-rise vs. the flat bars that were OEM on the M400) so that contributed to the difference. But again, I didn't think that the change was all that drastic -- just a little different which will take some time to get used to -- your milage may vary.

Note that the performance was MUCH better than than Indy C. Way more plush and wow, some adjustability!