mtbr member

How tight should rear shock sit in the frame?

Hi!
    I'm not sure that my bushings allow the shock to rotate freely enough in the frame. When my shock is disconnected at one end, how hard should it be to rotate it by hand? How do I tell if it's alright or too tight?
    Thanks!
    P.S: Yes, I tried searching. Couldn't find an answer to this particular question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleGum View Post
    Hi!
    I'm not sure that my bushings allow the shock to rotate freely enough in the frame. When my shock is disconnected at one end, how hard should it be to rotate it by hand? How do I tell if it's alright or too tight?
    Thanks!
    P.S: Yes, I tried searching. Couldn't find an answer to this particular question.
    They should not rotate by hand, if so the bushings are worn out. If you are concerned about frictional rotation buy a needle bearing setup.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but that was not the question. I worded it poorly. When the shock is connected to the frame with one end, should I be able to pivot it with my hand holding the other end of the shock? And how hard should it be to say that it's too tight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbleGum View Post
    Thanks, but that was not the question. I worded it poorly. When the shock is connected to the frame with one end, should I be able to pivot it with my hand holding the other end of the shock? And how hard should it be to say that it's too tight?
    Yes you should be able to rotate the shock by hand. There are no specifications for the amount of pull strength required to rotate the shock. From personal experience bushings are usually checked for wear / looseness not excessive "tightness". Once, in the past, I saw a bike w/ the wrong length sleeves on a 3 piece hardware cause binding because the sleeves and shock eyes were sandwiched instead of the center pin.