I-S
    Magurified

How to service Radium R 2009?

I want to do an air can service on my 2009 Manitou Radium R rear shock. This is the one that looks like this:

I can not find a service manual for manitou rear shocks newer than 2007. The shocks pictured in that manual are slightly different (with the air can having a smaller diameter than the end piece they screw onto, rather than being flush).

I can not unscrew the air can from the rest of the shock, despite applying what seems like a quite obscene amount of torque to it.

So, my question is, how do I remove the air can to service the shock? I have done this before for fox float shocks I've had in the past, so I am familiar with what's involved... this shock just doesn't seem to come apart that way though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Put the top eyelet (black side) into a vise, then unscrew the canister with all your might plus more. It will come apart. Oh, and make sure it's deflated first.

I-S
    Magurified
    That is what I did and it showed absolutely no sign of budging. Is that definitely the right method for this shape shock (as compared to the one with the larger end section, 2007 and earlier)?