mtbr member
    Sep 2009

How to Measure/Replace Rear Shock?

I have never really messed around with my rear shock, and really have no idea what I'm doing. I've always been happy with the stock model that came with the bike.

Unfortunately, my rear shock has developed a severe leak, and needs replacement. I took it into the local bike shop, and they said it wasn't worth fixing and should be replaced. But, after talking to them they also told me it would be cheaper for me to buy a whole new bike then replace the rear shock alone. I find this hard to believe, and am almost certain I can find a replacement for less then a new bike. But, I haven't the slightest idea of were to start. Essentially I'm looking to find out what size or any special consideration I need to replace the old one.

The original Shock is a Fox Float R, off a Kona Bear. I believe it is the 2002/2003 equivalent to this one. I've found a ton of products online, but they all seem to have a two measurement system, Y"x Z", I don't know what this means, and not sure how to measure the one I have. Also most of the pictures given by the online-venders don't show the mounting brackets/tubes(I don't know what to call them, see picture). Can I reuse the old ones? I haven't been able to find a way to get them off.

I apologies for the low quality images, but the total length is 7" and the travel (I think {I don't know if I measure it correctly}) is about 1.5-1.75".

Thanks for the Help,
    Rogue

mtbr member
    The ruler is a bit fuzzy so I can't see the numbers, but there is a 6.75/1.75" stroke shock size. Does that fit?
    The most standard size is 6.5/1.5". Measured from centre to centre.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    The ruler is a bit fuzzy so I can't see the numbers, but there is a 6.75/1.75" stroke shock size. Does that fit?
    The most standard size is 6.5/1.5". Measured from centre to centre.
    Ok, the center to center measurement is 6.5". My guess would be that this is a standard shock and be 6.5/1.5". But am I measuring the 1.5" correctly?

With the size almost cleared up, how would I find mounting brackets to fit the bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sob Rogue
    Ok, the center to center measurement is 6.5". My guess would be that this is a standard shock and be 6.5/1.5". But am I measuring the 1.5" correctly?

With the size almost cleared up, how would I find mounting brackets to fit the bike?
    I call that "shock hardware", the reducers, spacers, pins etc which let the shock fit the bikes shock mounts.
    Most shops and I believe FOX also sell shock hardware, I also make and sell hardware custom built for each bike/shock combination but I'm in New Zealand.
    If you get really stuck, call back.

You'll need the following measurements.
    Inside width of the frame mount.
    Diameter of the bolt that passes through the shock eye.

All fox shock eyelets are the same, so that's easy for this case.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    May 2010
    definetly looks like a 6.5/1.5 combo as ive recently been searching for the same thing. Ebay has a few you might be interested in. do a search for 165x38 or just plain 6.5x 1.5 I saw a couple of fox shocks fitting that even a 2004 cloud 9 new leftover for 160. good luck and get back on the road fast!

mtbr member
    Hang on a minute. Is it just an air leak that's the problem?

If the shaft is still good, then a new seal kit will solve your problems. They're cheap and can be done at home with minimal tooks (just need to unscrew the can and flick out the old seals).
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hang on a minute. Is it just an air leak that's the problem?

If the shaft is still good, then a new seal kit will solve your problems. They're cheap and can be done at home with minimal tooks (just need to unscrew the can and flick out the old seals).
    I took it into the bike shop, cause I am not familiar with rear/fox shocks. They said it wasn't worth repairing, and gave me an estimate of $450. I don't really trust them though, cause they really just wanted to sell me a new bike.

But, the symptoms are, after about 2-3 miles of riding, it only has 100lbs(or so) of air left and begins drop/sag. I have to pump it up every 15-20 minutes in order to keep riding. I thought that the some seal might have been blown, and quite frankly, have been waiting for this to happen, as I haven't serviced it once since the day I bought the bike. The mechanic at the bike shop told me that it was physically damaged, that I must of flipped the bike hit it against a rock or something, I didn't see any damage to it, just what he said. He also said that if I wanted a seal kit it would be $50 + $10(something I can't remember) cause the shock was so old.

This sounded odd to me, because I have re-sealed my front fork (Magura Thor) many times before, and the kit only cost like $8 or so if I remember correctly. Is there a way I can check? Is there a way I can take it apart and visually determine if an O-ring/Seal is the issue?

-Thanks for the Help

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    $450 to repair a rear shock that almost certainly needs a simple seal kit? Go back and punch him in the face. http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...007_om_eng.htm

mtbr member
    Buy a seal kit. Probably less than $15. Just a bunch of O rings and some lube. Go to the fox website and print out the instructions for how to do the air sleeve maintenance. They have good instructions with pictures. Its easy with no special tools. If that doesn't fix your shock you are only out 15 bucks.

The shop sounds like it was trying to convince you to buy a bike. Even if you did need a whole new shock it wouldn't be $450.

Fox float 6.5x1.5 $250
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31419

You could reuse your reducers (spacers)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Buy a seal kit. Probably less than $15. Just a bunch of O rings and some lube. Go to the fox website and print out the instructions for how to do the air sleeve maintenance. They have good instructions with pictures. Its easy with no special tools. If that doesn't fix your shock you are only out 15 bucks.

The shop sounds like it was trying to convince you to buy a bike. Even if you did need a whole new shock it wouldn't be $450.

Fox float 6.5x1.5 $250
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=31419

You could reuse your reducers (spacers)
    He does have an older style air-can. I don't know if these take the same seals as the current model or not.
    There is a little more to the FOX seal kits than just a bunch of o-rings. They have two unique seals and one quadring with four backup rings.

Either way, I wouldn't be trusting that shop.
    If you do want a new shock, that universal cycles link is a good price for a newer model.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member
    He does have an older style air-can. I don't know if these take the same seals as the current model or not.
    There is a little more to the FOX seal kits than just a bunch of o-rings. They have two unique seals and one quadring with four backup rings.

Either way, I wouldn't be trusting that shop.
    If you do want a new shock, that universal cycles link is a good price for a newer model.
    I bought a kit for my 2001 about a year and a half ago and the kit was the same for the more recent models. I used the simpler O rings but the kit also included some fancier double lipped rings etc that I didn't use. They throw them all in the same kit, and the instructions tell you which ones to use depending on your model.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Since we are on the topic, I have a mid 90`s RS Coup(e) Deluxe 150 x 22,2 mm, D 6 mm,
    which started leaking leaking oil years ago and sat in the basement since than.
    Does that make sense to rebuild that or time to upgrade?
    This is not for my main bike just for my old FS so I can take it for a little joyride once in while.

Thank you

mtbr member

measuring the shock

Is it better to measure the stroke when it is off or on the bike? I have a RP23, on a Pivot 429 and the stroke is meauring 2.25. The other bike is measuring 2 in for an older RP3 on a 26 in Santa cruz Blur...
    I love my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqtime View Post
    Is it better to measure the stroke when it is off or on the bike? I have a RP23, on a Pivot 429 and the stroke is meauring 2.25. The other bike is measuring 2 in for an older RP3 on a 26 in Santa cruz Blur...
    The easiest thing is to go to the Fox website and check their chart. They will give you the shock length, stroke, and reducer specs for most bike models.

Go here:

WebHelp

then click on "rear shock fit chart" and you will get a spreadsheet.