mtbr member

How to interchange hardware between RockShox Monarch 3.1 & Fox RP23 Rear Shocks

Hi. I have a Jamis Sixfifty B2 frame, which came with a RockShox Monarch 3.1 rear shock but will have it replaced with a Fox RP23 shock. The reducer hardware for the 2 units is not the same, so need to remove the hardware on both units and invert them. How can I do this myself? I saw a Fox service page that they suggest to use a bolt extractor (which I don't own) ut wonder if there are any alternate ways. If so, are there instructions or videos somewhere that can show me the procedure to do it? I do have the Giant Maestro Bearing tool set and wonder if that may help or not.

Thanks,

Francisco
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    I managed finally to interchange the hardware with the help of some Craftsman pressure pliers, a hammer and the handle of my 1/4 inch socket racket, which is exactly the same diameter needed to push the cylinders off the Monarch shock and into the Fox RP23!!

This is how the frame look originally:

This is how it looks now!!

IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2
    Gone, but not forgotten:GT LTS-3, GT Zascar Expert Carbon, Look 986, Giant Anthem Advanced

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Why did you down grade your shock? Monarch is a much better damper. Better mid stroke support. Home serviceable and tune-able as well, unlike the RP23. Rockshox's 3 piece mounting hardware is superior as well.

mtbr member

Smile I prefer Fox

Hi, I read on the web several reports on the Monarch 3.1 rear shock and they were not very positive; I have used Fox RP23 before in other frames without issues and prefer Fox products.
    IMG Jamis Sixfifty B2

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    the Monarch is a pretty crappy shock.. little to no small bump response unless you take the air out and bottom the thing. Also has issues with the air filler tube.. Got to say the Lock out worked about the best of any shock I've ever ridden,.. oh and they are light... My $50 manitou Radium rode better though.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/