mtbr member
    Jul 2014

How to identify exact model of Rock Shox rear shock?

Hey guys,

As some of you may have seen in the other thread I started a while ago, I'm building a 'new' bike from mostly used parts. I just got myself a Rock Shox Deluxe Adjust rear shock because it was dirt cheap and a perfect candidate for starting to figure out frame geometry (manufacturer apparently doesn't speak english or they just don't want to bother with an older frame...). Anyways, It arrived the other day, and I just fit it. It seems to be a perfect fit, though I'll see when my fork arrives and I can finally actually ride the thing. Anyways, it cost next to nothing, and actually seems to be working fine too.

Anyways, it's obvious that this sucker hasn't seen a service in a long while (rebound adjustment goes from no rebound to almost locked out in like a single turn of the adjustment knob), and I was thinking of giving it some fresh oil and possibly a full rebuild if the parts don't cost too much. The problem is, I can't seem to find a proper manual for it. Anyone knows how I could identify the exact year of the shock? The service manual floating around seems to be for earlier models.

Cheers

Warrior's Society
    The reason that rear show was so cheap, is probably because finding service parts for it may be near impossible.

Plus, didn't they stop making that rear shock back in the late '90's.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nawh from what I read there was still a 2003 model too and this doesn't resemble what's in the 1996 service manual. As I said, there's no real problem with it, it moves smoothly and no signs of leakage, It'd be more of a preventative maintenance... I'm just thinking the rebound adjust should have a finer adjustment range, which I'm fairly certain is cause of old oil. Anyways, for about $15, I have no complaints. (Defo better then paying $100 for a used fox air shock that may or may not end up needing a rebuild too.) I'd like to figure out exactly what year it is and I'll see if I can attempt to rebuild it or just ride it as it is till it craps out. I bought it just to see if this is the size my frame needs in the first place, and it seems spot on so far.

Warrior's Society
    RS was acquired by SRAM in the mid/late '00's so chances of them having service parts for a shock that old is unlikely.....even before SRAM, RS only provided service parts for a couple of years.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    If you are looking for O-rings or Quad-rings, your local bearing supply house can probably supply what you need. Those are almost always some standard commodity items. If it's not leaking, just change the oil. Any moto shop.will have suspension oil, or go really cheap (from experience ) and use power steering fluid. Budget rebuilds are so satisfying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I actually have some 10w fork oil left over from when I rebuilt my motorbike's front shocks that should work fine. I'd just like to find a 'how-to' so that I don't screw anything up. If this shock is anything like the older deluxes there's possibly a nitrogen charge in it too... and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to recharge that myself hehh

Thanks for the tip on o-rings though.