mtbr member
    Jan 2013

How to clean fork suspension properly?

Hi

I have recently bought a hell of an expensive bike, with the Fox CTD 32 Talas 150 mm fork (which alone costs more than any bike I've owned earlier).

I would like to know how you think the fork should be cleaned after a ride.
    What I do now is the following:

Wipe the fork with a moist cloth. I'm NOT spraying water directly on the fork. What I'm not sure about, is what to do with the dirt gathering around the rubber joint. I'm thinking about removing it with an old tooth brush... but don't I risk forcing the dirt into down into the fork?
    Alternatively, should I just leave the dirt there?

After cleaning, I give the fork a squeeze of Fork Juice.

Best regards

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by doubleyou View Post
    hi

i have recently bought a hell of an expensive bike, with the fox ctd 32 talas 150 mm fork (which alone costs more than any bike i've owned earlier).

I would like to know how you think the fork should be cleaned after a ride.
    What i do now is the following:

Wipe the fork with a moist cloth. I'm not spraying water directly on the fork. What i'm not sure about, is what to do with the dirt gathering around the rubber joint. I'm thinking about removing it with an old tooth brush... But don't i risk forcing the dirt into down into the fork?
    Alternatively, should i just leave the dirt there?

After cleaning, i give the fork a squeeze of fork juice.

Best regards

dude do this.

1 stand at least 3 feet from the forks.
    2 stop fn finatisizing over the damn forks.
    3 they were designed to be abused hardcore.
    4 no need to clean them for a long time, then only once in a while.

Let it go bro!

You cant save them and ride them at the same time.

It just doesnt matter.

I say, thrash the **** out of them and milk every cent out of them you can till they fail. Then send in for a rebuild.

Thats realy how they were deaigned to be treated.

Your only going to drive ur self insane and waste alot of ur time.

Dry terry cloth once a month.

mtbr member
    Wipe them down with a DRY rag. You can floss between the arch with the dry rag to get the dirt out. You really just want to remove the dirt from around the top rubber seal and the stanchion itself, it keep it from getting past the seal.

Using a wet rag just makes it easier for the mud to slide past the seal. Just give it a quick wipe down and you're good.

Workin for the weekend!
    Microfibre cloth on the stantions is best, no need to skeeratch the coating...

I wipe mine down after a messy ride.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Wipe them down with a DRY rag. You can floss between the arch with the dry rag to get the dirt out. You really just want to remove the dirt from around the top rubber seal and the stanchion itself, it keep it from getting past the seal.

Using a wet rag just makes it easier for the mud to slide past the seal. Just give it a quick wipe down and you're good.
    This is best advise. Use a DRY rag to wipe and floss the upper stanchions and seals.

And do it after or before each ride. Even when the not visibly dirty or muddy, the oil that normally wicks past the seals to the outside of the upper stanchions will dry and any dust in the dried oil will wear the seals like very fine sandpaper upon the first compression after dried between rides.

Also change the splash oil inside the lowers every 2 to 4 months of frequent riding, depending on dust or mud conditions. A small amount of dirt is wicked inside past the seals while riding, no seal can totally prevent this. And oil absorbs water in the atmosphere past the seals, and the oil breaks down and looses it's slippery qualities over time. Changing oil is the only way to keep the insides of the seals and bushings clean and slippery.