mtbr member
    Mar 2009

How big of a tire can I run with my '09 Sid Team?

Thinking about putting bigger tires on my bike. I currently run Nevegal 2.1 and have thought about going to a 2.35. Will this work with my fork? I may go with a different tire... mainly just trying to find something taller. I have been contemplating converting my bike over to 650B and thought it would be a lot cheaper to try bigger tires first.

While I am on the subject of the Sid I have a question I should probably know the answer to... Does anyone know if the gate knob does anything when the fork isn't locked out? I can't tell the difference but have always been under the impression that it was suppose to.

Thanks!
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    The biggest tire that I ran on an 09 sid was a mtn king 2.4 and if the wheel was dished perfectly to the fork it would not rub. Some 09 sids' are not straight.

as for the gate knob working working when not locked out... there are a couple of threads that cover that in detail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    The biggest tire that I ran on an 09 sid was a mtn king 2.4 and if the wheel was dished perfectly to the fork it would not rub. Some 09 sids' are not straight.

as for the gate knob working working when not locked out... there are a couple of threads that cover that in detail.
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the MTN King 2.4 is at least as large as the Nevegal 2.35? I haven't seen a MTN King for a while but if I remember correctly they seemed to run large.

Regarding the sids not being straight... I had to file one of the dropouts to get my wheel to sit straight (RS replaced the lowers 3 times but all of the replacements were crooked.... and they say Taiwan mfg'ing is good as US). I ran out of dropout while filing to get it to sit perfectly straight but it's close enough, I guess. Thanks for confirmation on the gate knob... one more reason to not buy a RS product again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    While I am on the subject of the Sid I have a question I should probably know the answer to... Does anyone know if the gate knob does anything when the fork isn't locked out? I can't tell the difference but have always been under the impression that it was suppose to.

Thanks!
    It will only make a difference on faster/harder events, to function as a bypass valve. I always have my blackbox damper set up at 2 clicks from lockout, with a 80% open gate. That way, bobbing is reduced, brake dive is reduced, but whenever I hit a root, it opens up.

mtbr member
    Just measured the mtn king 2.4 on american classic 350 rims and 30#s of pressure and it came out to 2.370" wide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Just measured the mtn king 2.4 on american classic 350 rims and 30#s of pressure and it came out to 2.370" wide.
    Thanks rupps!

Do you happen to know the width of your rims? The only American Classic 350's I can find online are road wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by two-one View Post
    I always have my blackbox damper set up at 2 clicks from lockout, with a 80% open gate.
    I am having a hard time understanding this. It sounds like there are two points of adjustment. All I have is a lockout and the gate adjustment. My lockout is a remote lockout and is only on or off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Thanks rupps!

Do you happen to know the width of your rims? The only American Classic 350's I can find online are road wheels.
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply...

Went and did some more measuring.
    • american classic 350 rims measured on the outside = 0.882"
    • mtn king 2.4 = 2.370" at widest knobs

also had another rim mounted up with mtn king 2.4
    • stans crest = 0.958" on the outside
    • mtn king 2.4 at 20#'s = 2.425 at widest knobs

When I was running my sid with the mtn king I was using an stans olympic rim that measures 0.916" on the outside