Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Hex cap wrench for FOX forks

I made a custom wrench for removing the hex cap on my FOX fork. With the large 32mm size and short length, sockets would not work unless you faced them down on a lathe, but even then the handlebars were in the way unless you remove the fork. Steel end-wrenchs were so huge and heavy making it hard to handle. So I made up a wrench out of aluminum that works great. Got the idea from the custom aluminum wrenchs that are used for taking apart steel-braided hose fittings used on race cars. These wrenchs are so handy I decided to do a run on them. Every FOX fork owner that changes springs or oil should have one, and they are cheap!

http://www.lunarbikes.com/tools.htm

Is flexy
    Thats a pretty good idea... I was just about to go buy a socket for my fox.... I'm glad I saw this. Damn reasonable on the price too.
    Good People... www.efingersports.com

mtbr member
    I wish this would have been posted yesterday. I had to go to five stores to find a 26 mm socket for mine. The whole six-point thing really throws a monkey wrench in the system, as most sockets of the correct size are 12-points. I notice you only make the 32 mm model, any plans to make it in a 26 mm version?
    "What Would Doug Do?"

Old school BMXer
    I just use one of these aluminum wrenches from Motion Pro. I already had one of these in my fanny pack for my moto. http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0289 But the one's you're selling are a surely a better price! (although too bad it couldn't torque the rear axle on my 450 or remove a dirt bike tire)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    really would it of been that hard to slightly loosen the stem bolts and twist the bars slightly? I'm not at all saying that your product isnt handy to have, but i wouldnt of thought it would of been enough of a problem to make a special spanner..? nice work though.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Nice, I will be picking one of those up in a week or so.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Langdog,
    We could make some other sizes, someone else requested a 24mm version for rock shox. Let me know the size and which fork it is for, then the next time we do a run we will include the other sizes. What fork is the 26mm for?

Blaster1200,
    That’s a nice wrench. Now I know what my wrench reminds me of, my old 1973 Husky came with it’s own set of tools and included a thin box end wrench for tightening the head set shaft. You probably could use my wrench to change tires on a bike.

rayzor,
    Actually a socket will clear the bars with longer stems, but 32mm sockets are massive and usually have a 1/2 or 3/4" drive size so it gets cumbersome using such a heavy tool. The soft hex on the cap is so short, that if you were to tilt the socket slightly, you end up rounding off the corners. The sockets also have chamfers inside them to make inserting on a nut quicker. That chamfer is deeper than the fork cap hex, so you must machine the socket flush on the end. Then there is the point Langdog brought up about most sockets will be 12pt, so the likely hood or rounding off the hex increases especially since the 32mm size is also oversized slightly. Plenty of reasons for a socket to not be very practical.

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan
    What fork is the 26mm for?

Probably a Fox F-32 series (Float, Vanilla, Talas.... etc)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Probably a Fox F-32 series (Float, Vanilla, Talas.... etc)
    Precisely!
    "What Would Doug Do?"

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langdog
    Precisely!
    Bike Tools Etc. offers a ground down, 26mm 12pt socket for a decent price:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...em_id=AL-12326

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok, next time we run more I will include:

24mm for Rock Shox
    26mm for FOX 32

Then we have the 32mm which fit the FOX 36 and 40

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

I'd love to buy one....

I'd love to buy one of these wrenches but the $43.95 shipping cost to Canada via USPS???
    That is way too much.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

shipping

Can you ship USPS priority? 22.00 for UPS ground is on the high side.

Thanks Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Shipping rates are calculated automatically by each party, we do not set the rates.

I just checked prices on our site for an order:

Pubcrawl,
    Lowest price to Canada is UPS Canada Standard at $16.91 for zipcode Ontario, K1Z8E4. We only use Express Mail with USPS which costs more.

mtnbkrr,
    Where do you live? UPS from California to New York is $8.70, don't know where you got $22 unless it is 3-day.

We only use UPS in the states, USPS Express Mail and UPS Worldwide for international.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Shipping rates are calculated automatically by each party, we do not set the rates.

Pubcrawl,
    Lowest price to Canada is UPS Canada Standard at $16.91 for zipcode Ontario, K1Z8E4. We only use Express Mail with USPS which costs more.

We only use UPS in the states, USPS Express Mail and UPS Worldwide for international.
    Sorry but as anyone in Canada, that has ever shipped anything from the USA to Canada by UPS, will tell you there are extra fees UPS adds at the door.
    The last time I used the UPS option I got stuck with a $25 "brokerage and handling fee" on top of the local sales tax.
    For most of us in Canada UPS from the USA to Canada is not an option.

In stark contrast USPS may or may not charge you an $8 handling fee for the same service.
    On top of that for something this small and light it could go by standard USPS mail.

I just went to the USPS website to calculate shipping options they have.
    Priority Mail® International 6 - 10 Days $17.00
    Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope 6 - 10 Days $9.95
    First-Class Mail® International Large Envelope Delivery time Varies $0.98

Too bad you only use the uber expensive Express Mail option with USPS.
    I bet you won't be selling many of these to Canadian Customers...
    too bad I would have like to have purchased two of these.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

TLL
    mtbr member
    Very cool, I need to order one up since I have to strip down a 36.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=TacoMan]Shipping rates are calculated automatically by each party, we do not set the rates.

Pubcrawl,

mtnbkrr,
    Where do you live? UPS from California to New York is $8.70, don't know where you got $22 unless it is 3-day.

Hawaii, zip is 96813. Why no priority? Only takes 3-5 days to Hawaii thats a lot faster that UPS ground and for less half the cost. Priority is how I get all my parts sent with no problems.

I am interested in all three sizes and at least 2 sets maybe 3. When will you be making the 24mm and 26mm? Please save 2 32mm so you can ship them all at the same time.

Thanks Jeff

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If you want to ship with Priority Mail, send us an email (shown on website) with your shipping address and we will get a price with insurance. We ship with UPS and Express Mail because they are traceable and we pay for daily UPS pick-ups.

mtbr member
    Cool idea, but how do you know if you've torqued the hex cap to Fox factory specified torque setting?

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Any chance you could make a Fox IFP tool? One thing to consider on the 26mm for Talas forks is the tight clearance between the crown and the cap. I'd be interested in both of these tools.
    i ride bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There is no need to tighten the cap very tight, just snug it down and the o-ring does the sealing. Torque is more critical on small screws so that you don't strip them.

I always like using box-end wrenches when working on cars because the handle length is already a torque limiter. The handle length on these wrenches is just right to get them tight without going too tight.

Hank,
    Yes, I will check out a Talas before doing the 26mm. The 32mm wrench is sized to clear a 36 Talas.

What type of tool is needed for the IFP? My FOX vanilla 3.0 has a small hex on the outside.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Here is the Fox IFP needle,
    i ride bikes

TLL
    mtbr member
    There is no need to tighten the cap very tight, just snug it down and the o-ring does the sealing. Torque is more critical on small screws so that you don't strip them.

I always like using box-end wrenches when working on cars because the handle length is already a torque limiter. The handle length on these wrenches is just right to get them tight without going too tight.
    Agree. As a former wrench, I'd offer that you know what you are talking about. In regards to slap-on wrenches, anyway.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hank, what shock is that off of? The part on top looks like a schrader valve, are those aftermarket parts? It looks like ordinary wrenches can be used on those? My FOX vanilla shock requires a needle type inflator and FOX won't supply parts outright for servicing it yourself.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Hank, what shock is that off of? The part on top looks like a schrader valve, are those aftermarket parts? It looks like ordinary wrenches can be used on those? My FOX vanilla shock requires a needle type inflator and FOX won't supply parts outright for servicing it yourself.
    The pictured tool is the Fox IFP charging tool needed for servicing Talas forks. If you look at the service guide from Fox, it will show it in use. Maybe I should have specified I was looking for someone to machine the tool itself. No worries about it now, I've already sourced one.
    i ride bikes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast