mtbr member
    Jun 2013

HELP! What year is this Manitou R7?

Hi guys. I have this Manitou R7 which I consider a great fork. Its loosing some air and I`d like to know which year it is. I suspect is a 2007 but id like to read what you think.
    It`s important to mention that I live in Buenos Aires and MTB stuff is as much as 3 or even 4 times more expensive then in the US so throwing away and buying new stuff is not a cheap option.
    I`d like to try to buy either O`Rings or the full cartridge online and get it sent here. The fork is going to be checked tomorrow by a great bike mechanic down here.
    He also mentioned some really heavy oil named Red Rum which you can put inside the air cartridge and that will stop the leaking. What do you guys think? Thanx a lot and sorry for the mess on my writing!HELP! What year is this Manitou R7?-fork-1.jpgHELP! What year is this Manitou R7?-fork2.jpg

mtbr member
    It looks like a 2006 or 2007. They came out in 2006 and in 2008 they changed the damper to either TPC or Absolute (ABS), I have a 2008 and it is gray in color. I don't think they changed that much other than damper. In my experience the mechanic may be correct, O-rings worst case however the air spring of Manitou forks needs approx. 3cc on top of the piston for lube and to assist the o-ring in sealing. I use 10-40 full synthetic Castrol motor oil on mine. Note it must be full synthetic according to my discussion with Manitou in the past.

Also, if you have not serviced it, you should replace the lower bath splash oil, which I use the same as the top of the piston and if I recall, 16cc per side. If you perform a full service, you would need 5W fork oil for the damper. The service manual with details are here:
    http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Ser...e%20Manual.pdf

Good luck!