mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Help w/Trek 950 1995 want to add front shock

I have a Trek 950, 1995. I love my bike & don't want to buy a new bike at this time. I ride some local greenway trails which are partly paved in places. I would like to add a front shock. I don't want to invest a lot of money but I would like a decent fork. Been looking at Rock Shox Recon Silver or Gold. Will either of these work on my bike, or is there another choice that would be better. My rides are more for exercise than anything else. Thanks!

What could go wrong ...
    keep in mind that frame is not suspension corrected so you will only want to put a short travel fork on it. maybe a 63mm travel fork would work so you will probably have to look for a used fork. If you put a longer travel fork on it you will change the handling and not in a good way and it will also add stress to the headtube that it was not intended for.

Also keep in mind that a newer fork will not have the brake posts for your cantilever brakes so you would have to convert to disc brakes which will need a new wheel (at least the hub) and brake levers
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for responding! From what your telling me the cost of adding a fork, brakes, & wheel, I would be as well off to purchase another bike. The problem with that is, I looked at a Trek Marlin at my LBS. It's a nice looking bike. It's a 29er and it has disc brakes, front shock as well. It would be in the price range I would be willing to spend on either the upgrade or a new bike. But I've read reviews from others that have bought the Marlin, that the brakes are very noisy and the shock has to be serviced if it gets wet. Also the same thing for the Trek Mamba. The reviews state that you need to upgrade the new bike, which makes no sense to me. This is my second Trek 950 over the last 20 years, the first one was stolen. I do like the Trek brand. Any thoughts about which way to go?

What could go wrong ...
    I have several bikes with rigid forks and what I do is put a large tire (2.2-2.4) on the front and run low PSI (26-30) and since you say you are riding paved bike paths this may be a good option for you to try before buying a new bike.

Of the 2 bikes you mentioned I would go with the Mamba as it has a better fork on it but it also costs more. Here is a comparison of the 2

Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle

Hope this helps
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me