Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Help w/Marzocchi MX Pro Lo Travel

Hello all,
    Is it possible to switch from 80mm to 100mm travel on a 2008 Marzocchi Mx Pro Lo, and if so what parts are required?
    Thanks a bunch

jl.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've been wanting to find this out about the 2006 model. I've managed to find the service manuals and parts diagrams so when I get the chance to have a look and take my forks apart this weekend. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got an 2006 MX Comp ETA that I would love to drop from 105mm to 85mm. Keep this thread alive and maybe I can learn something.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    I can't wait to learn what you find out after taking the 2006 fork apart. I may have tried to take my 2008 MX down if it weren't brand new. Best of luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i also got the 08 MX Pro with Lockout and trying to do the same thing, 80mm to 100mm. Cant wait to find out how.

mtbr member
    Hmm...I thought that there was a Marzocchi tech dude who posted here and would have the answers we needed (regarding our 08 MX Pro). I am pretty sure you can change from 80 100mm, and I'm actually going to attempt to contact Marzocchi warranty dept. tomorrow and post whatever I find out here

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I tried getting into the Marzocchi Support forum on MTBR but for some reason i cant get into it. I tried calling Marzocchi to ask for the pressure for the fork and also for help regarding setting the internal travel. I got the spec for the pressure but the person i spoke with wasnt knowlegdeable and gave me general answers like "like yea you can probably adjust travel internally." I know its possible cause someone from a MTBR review said he converted his 80mm to 100mm. I tried reaching him by PM but he didnt reply.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    BTW, this is the link to the thread Marzocchi Support, the dude's user name is "Mazocchi Tech Support". Marzocchi Support [THREAD CLOSED - please visit the Shocks & Suspension Forum]

mtbr member
    I have the 100mm 2008 MX Pro LO that I converted to 120mm. Take the lowers off, then use c-clip pliers to open up the cartridge. There is a plastic spacer in there (probably 40mm on the 80mm model). Make a new spacer which is 20mm shorter out of 1/2 in PVC pipe. Re-assemble, and refer to the oil level chart on the marz site and add 7.5 wt fork oil.

Here is the kicker, when you change the travel now the spring is wrong size. (at least it was in my case). The good news is you can run the fork with air only, just take out the spring completely, and air it up until you get the correct sag. I think mine ended up around 40-50 PSI (I weigh 190). I would suggest trying that first before calling marz to get a new spring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Which side is the cartidge in? Can the original spacer be used by cutting it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temjin006
    Which side is the cartidge in? Can the original spacer be used by cutting it?
    Should be the right side. You don't have to mess with the lockout side other than to unscrew the bottom to remove the lowers.

You should be able to remove the original spacer by cutting it. For my fork I just removed the spacer completely since I wanted the full 120mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks oldskoolbiker for the info. I took out the spring and the entire spacer to get the full 120mm. I couldnt find 7.5wt anywhere around my area so I used some 15wt for now. The fork seems to be a little slower but more manageable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by temjin006
    Thanks oldskoolbiker for the info. I took out the spring and the entire spacer to get the full 120mm. I couldnt find 7.5wt anywhere around my area so I used some 15wt for now. The fork seems to be a little slower but more manageable.
    After one month, would you recommend this mod? I wouldn't mind an extra 2 cm on my MX Pro LO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I think mine ended up around 40-50 PSI (I weigh 190).
    I just installed a MX Pro Lo and the owners manuel says it only need 0-15 PSI, but when I first checked the pressure it was at 25 PSI. I weigh 220 so I must be missing something. Any advice you can give on set-up would be GREATLY appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boren
    After one month, would you recommend this mod? I wouldn't mind an extra 2 cm on my MX Pro LO.
    Well after i did the mod i moved so i didnt get to ride the bike much. I also made the fork into 100mm since my frame wasnt really meant for 120mm as it will put too much stress on it. However, with 120mm i can make the fork really plush since i can give it a little more sag with less air. If you frame can take 120mm go for it. Even if you not gonna do the mod for the extra 20mm, u might want to take the spring out to save weight since the its redundant. If u need any help or details on how to take it apart or put it back together, i dont mind answer your question since I too had problems at first when I was reassembling it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by -=Clinton=-
    I just installed a MX Pro Lo and the owners manuel says it only need 0-15 PSI, but when I first checked the pressure it was at 25 PSI. I weigh 220 so I must be missing something. Any advice you can give on set-up would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Did you check if you have the right amount of sag at 25 psi? I weight about 220lb and i aired mine to 40psi after i did the travel mod and taking out the spring.

mtbr member
    That PSI was with the spring REMOVED, because I changed the travel. That's probably what your're missing. This thread was about modding the MX Pro LO to change the travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ok thanks. Did you have any problems with that pressure? I would be afraid I'd blow something up.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks. Did you have any problems with that pressure? I would be afraid I'd blow something up.
    I haven't ridden this fork much since it's on a spare bike, but I've got a similar setup on my DJ bike and its been fine. It was a Marz tech who told me to do this. I reduced the travel on one of my other forks and was calling to get a properly sized spring. He told me it really doesn't need the spring and just to run air only.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As you can tell I'm pretty new to this but if I understand correctly, your using the air to set the sag correct? Then what are the adjustments under the lock out for and if you don't mind... How does the rebound work, I know stupid questions but the more I learn the less I know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    First let me say sorry for bringing back an oldish thread, but its relavent to my needs.
    First question is, if you remove the spring do you lose the lockout feature? and second of all when putting it all back together where should i add the oil..i would think the top but you never know lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No idea. But when you find out make sure you post it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well im in the process of taking them apart which i must admit is quite different to my old rockshox forks lol just got to work out what on earth im doing

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Ok well after fighting to find the sockets, the spring is only on the Air side and not on the LO side, so were all good on that front....Still very confused on where to refill the oil, but looking at it the top looks the easiest way then replace the top nut thing...Also are we 100% sure the spring can go? Also on another note, on removing the lowers the LH side on the gubbins was alot of grease, no fluid at all which is confusing, so whats the deal with that.

Anyone that posted before that had done it, or anyone in the know could you please get back to me so i can rebuild these and not cock it up lol.

mtbr member
    How much weight would be saved by the removal of the coil? Any problems regarding the fork performane after removing the coil? A guy selling a MX Pro Lo 100mm claims that it weighs around 1.6kg.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast