mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Help w/ Marz Drop-Off I

Well, I just got my new bike together, and am still working out a couple adjustments here and there. One of the problems I'm facing is properly setting up my fork (Marzocchi Drop Off I '06 w/ ETA dampening). Because I weigh 220, I am having a hard time getting a decent amount of sag, while retaining enough stiffness out of the fork (setting up to 30% sag is too bouncy).

Today I set the air assist preload to 35 psi (or is it bar - can't really read the pump), and while I thought I had enough sag in the garage, had very little when I was riding. So I let a little bit of air out (maybe 5 psi/bar) and it helped, but then whenever I pulled up on the bars (practicing manuals), the fork topped out a little louder than i had ever heard it do before.

Is the sound bad, or is topping out when preloading the fork normal? Should I just set the fork up to where "the squish" is where I like it and not worry too much about sag, or should I set it at a proper sag and not worry about having it too soft and bottoming out? Any advice?

Excuse my noobness; I've only started really getting into MTBin' the last month, and this is my first decent fork.

Cheers,
    Kal

ay Diablo!
    I'm not super familar with the drop off line, but have worksed on quite of few marzocchis. With that said, if you are bottoming out with the right amount of sag, the oil height is to low. You need to open up the top caps and add a bit of oil. If you want to be more precise, you need to measure the oil height. Stock oil heights on marzs should be at 50mm, sometime they aren't filled correctly from the factory, Check the oil height by removing the top caps, compressing the forks, and remove the springs. Then measure, add oil as needed (the range can be as high as 45mm).
    The rebound is another store. Does your fork have adjustable rebound? If it does add a few turns and it will get ride of the top out. That is if the top out is still there after adjusting the oil height. If your fork does not have adjsutable rebound, you need to change the fork oil out for for heavier oil. Stock weight is 7.5, 10 wt usually does the trick.

Edit: I just looked at your fork on marz website (link, http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...DOggetto=29482 ), and it says that it has external rebound adjust on the bottom of the fork. Turn that a bit to get rid of the top out. Then all you need to do is add some more oil to overcome the bottoming, and then lower the air pressure to get proper sag.

Hope that helps,
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    HAHA!!! Finally, a good answer. I've been trying to get something like that from my LBS for 2 days now! Instead, he tells me to let air out, put air in, let it out again... (they must be incompetent or something )

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by farmboybunk
    You need to open up the top caps and add a bit of oil. If you want to be more precise, you need to measure the oil height. Stock oil heights on marzs should be at 50mm, sometime they aren't filled correctly from the factory, Check the oil height by removing the top caps, compressing the forks, and remove the springs. Then measure, add oil as needed (the range can be as high as 45mm).

Bunk
    Can i do all this from my garage? If so, where can I get oil? LBS? How do I do it all?

ay Diablo!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalNhobbs
    Can i do all this from my garage? If so, where can I get oil? LBS? How do I do it all?
    Yes, it fairly easy (the first time can be tricky, but a breeze the second, third, etc..). You need a 21mm socket to remove the top caps. Just don't over tighten them when you reinstall them. They are made out of aluminum, and strip easy. You can buy fork oil from a motorcycle shop (it's a lot cheap then at a bike shop for the same stuff).
    Bunk

Carnaval Dominicano

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Ok, so I got the sag where I like it, and the rebound as well. I almost bottom (5mm at most) when I come down hard from a bunnyhop on the street. Do you think this is too soft, and if so, will the 10 wt oil help? I was able to download a tech manual for my fork from a different tread, so I think I can do all the stuff you said earlier.

ay Diablo!
    Ok, so I got the sag where I like it, and the rebound as well. I almost bottom (5mm at most) when I come down hard from a bunnyhop on the street. Do you think this is too soft, and if so, will the 10 wt oil help? I was able to download a tech manual for my fork from a different tread, so I think I can do all the stuff you said earlier.
    If you have the sag and rebound how you like it, then there is no need to change the oil to 10 wt. The heavier weight oil is not for bottom out resistance, it to slow down the rebound if you did not have an adjustable rebound knob on your fork.

What you need to do is add a bit more oil to your fork. What the extra oil does is decrease the air volume in your fork, making it ramp up faster, and stopping bottom out.

It sounds like you are using up your travel to easy. When I bunny hop, I usually have at least 3/4 of an inch of travel left. If not more. I would add a bit more oil, just a little at a time, until you get the ramp up the way you like it.
    Bunk

Carnaval Dominicano

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does it matter what type of oil I use? Marzocchi's own or a brand from the moto store? To measure the oil level, I can just use something like a dip stick? If there is too much oil, will it limit travel (or anything else that is not wanted)? And lastly, do I add oil to both legs or just one?

Sorry for all the Q's.
    Thanks for the help.

Kal

ay Diablo!
    Does it matter what type of oil I use? Marzocchi's own or a brand from the moto store? To measure the oil level, I can just use something like a dip stick? If there is too much oil, will it limit travel (or anything else that is not wanted)? And lastly, do I add oil to both legs or just one?

Sorry for all the Q's.
    Thanks for the help.

Kal
    Some would say it matter what oil you use. I've mixed oil and never had a problem (I've even used ATF oil, if you go that route make sure it does not have seal swellers. ATF oil is about 9 wt). If you ask me, use what ever fork oil you want. You will only be adding a tiny bit. I usually use marzocchis stock oil anyway, they sell it at moto shops. It's called Golden Spectro 7.5 wt. I've also had good luck with Suzuki brand oil. they make an 8 wt.

To measure oil height, a straw works rather well. Measure and mark 50mm (or what ever oil ht you want) on the straw. Then you can pinch the top of the straw and make a vaccum to add or remove a little oil at time from your fork. You can add oil to both legs or just one, it won't matter. The end result is the same, more ramp up.
    Bunk

Carnaval Dominicano

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    and adding oil won't limit travel?

ay Diablo!
    and adding oil won't limit travel?
    Yes and no. It will limit the travel so you don't use it all on small hits, but it will still bottom on the big hits. Thats were playing with the oil heights come into play. You need to set the fork up for the way you ride. Someone with your same weight might not need as much oil as some one else that rides much more aggressively. If you don't ride aggressively you can get away with less bottoming resistance, but the fork might feel soft (wallow) in it's mid stroke. It will take some trail and error with your oil heights. For me, I usually run 55-58mm of oil in my marzocchis, but I'm farly light at 150 lbs, and ride moderately aggressive. Nothing bigger then 4 ft drops. I have my fork (marzocchi Z1) to only bottom on bigger hits. I usually have 5-10mm of travel unused when I'm done riding at the end of the day, unless I took a big drop.

Carnaval Dominicano

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Oh, I see.. I was just wondering if adding oil would still net me the whole 130mm on a big hit, and your explanation was even more informative than I expected. Thanks again. I'm feeling more confident that I can fix this without the help of the LBS (and the $$$ associated)