mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Help Servicing an 09 Magura Thor/Generally servicing forks?

Hi,
    The seals on my Thor are completely loose, theyre all warped around the stanchion and its leaking oil onto the stanchions. Rebound is also horrible even at high psi if i put half my weight on the front it takes up about 1/3 of the travel. Max rebound isnt "bouncy" at all.

Soo, i went out and bought 32mm Fox replacement seals since i read that they work on the Thor's and are better then the magura seals and some 10wt oil. (some people put 7.5wt?? but i read that 10wt is stock? Please corret me if im wrong)
    But after reading more im really confused.

On the magura site there is no service manual but they have an oil levels pdf and they say to use Blood Oil Type 5 which people are saying translates into 20wt???
    Is the oil you put into the legs different then the 10wt stuff?

Im completely new to this as this is the first time ill be servicing my fork so if you guys could walk me through it that would be great.
    My main questions are:
    - How do i replace the seals
    - What type of oil should i use
    - Where does the oil go, and are there different places you have to put different types of oil in?

Thanks alot

Edit*
    ok so the difference is damping oil and lubrication oil? Lubrication oil being the 20wt and damping oil being the 10wt? So how does that work, where do you put the lubrication oil and where do you put the damping oil?
    Thanks

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    http://www.magura.com/uploads/media/..._E_2010_01.pdf

This has exploded views for your reference during tear down and reassembly.
    Magura Type 2 is 5 wt viscosity and for compression and rebound circuits.
    Magura Type 5 is 60 wt lubrication oil for the lowers and air chamber.
    5 cc's of Type 5 is recommended for the air chamber for sealing and lubrication.
    Each lower leg gets 2.5 to 10 cc's of Type 5 depending on your area, desert areas like Phoenix and the like get up to 10 cc and wet areas like the northwest and East need less. Maintenance depends on your area but once a year is a good basic recommendation.
    As for answering all of your procedural questions, email me and I will attach a file for you to use for step by step Magura fork service.
    Thanks for riding Magura!
    Jude

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks alot, that was extremely helpful. Will email you shortly

Edit* tried to email you but it wouldnt let me so i pm'd you. Thanks again

Magura N. America Svc Mgr
    Jun 2004
    Jude

mtbr member

Can I chime in with another service/problem?

I have an '09 Thor and recently I started having trouble with the FCR... I pump the air chamber (allowing +/- equalization) and all is fine. Then, when I operate the FCR, I can hear air hissing out of the top of the left leg.

The fork looses a lot of pressure, but still works.

What I did to trouble-shoot it:
    1. Since I was on a camping trip w/o access to a proper shop, I just kept adding pressure as needed.
    2. Finally just pumped it to operating pressure and took of my FCR bar mount so I wasn't tempted.
    3. After the trip, I deflated the fork, and replaced the schrader valve core and tightened the valve body.

This seemed to help and allowed my FCR to operate, normally I think. However, It does feel like the FCR knob is not turning as smoothly as it once did... not really sure how to lube this (can I? should I?). I am also suspecting cable drag and will replace ASAP.

I thought this worked and it did, at least until Last night when I did a big rocky DH trail... at the end, most of the pressure was gone.

I have had the fork for 14 months and ride 1-2x week except in winter. I have never serviced it and think/know it's time.

I'd really like to know if I possibly have a internal part, or if servicing (clean, lube, refill oil) will address this issue.

I am also wondering weather or not I can "tune" the compression Albert Select damper by changing the oil. The platform works, but I fine I almost never use it because it is too firm. I'd like to soften it a bit, but don't know how. Low viscosity oil?