mtbr member
    Aug 2009

help with roch shox reba sl 80mm

I have a small problem with my reba. I haven't ridden much the last couple years. The last couple weeks I have really started to ride a lot more. I cleaned my bike up nicely including the fork stanchions. That made the fork feel really different. It was a little gunky before cause I was using white lightning hybrid oil(oil and wax) on them. I was told this was good to do. Anyway, Now my fork felt like new for a few rides, then all of sudden there is no dampening now. Like the dampener is low on oil. There are no visible signs of leaks. It holds air perfect on the other side. I realize it is probably due to be completely torn down and rebuilt, but to get through the rest of the season can I just put a little oil in the dampener?

mtbr member
    Why not just service it and enjoy complete performance of the fork functions for the rest of the season?

- joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Time mostly. I probably have 10 rides or less for the season, and I was hoping to get the full performance back by just adding oil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99 View Post
    ...I was hoping to get the full performance back by just adding oil.
    You won't. The oil has probably gone into the lowers. Let all the air out of the fork and see if it still has the full range of travel.

These forks are very easy to work on. A full service should take less than 1 hour if you take your time. The manuals are all online and service kits are cheap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    You won't. The oil has probably gone into the lowers. Let all the air out of the fork and see if it still has the full range of travel.

These forks are very easy to work on. A full service should take less than 1 hour if you take your time. The manuals are all online and service kits are cheap.
    Thanks, I have glanced over the manuals. I am generally quite mechanically inclined but feeling intimidated by this for some reason. That's why I just wanted to wait till winter, if I screw it up I won't miss any riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I need some more help. The fork is on a 2007 Gary fisher rig. I can not find any info on the reba SL older than a 2009. I have a model number (I think) off the fork, but can not find anything from searching for that on srams website either. I bought the bike used in 2010, for a minute i thought maybe the fork was replaced but bikepedia confirms that my bike came with a reba SL dual air fork. Why would sram have any info for it? can I assume a 2009 would have the same parts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    In the sram catalog I did find a mention of the 2005-2008 reba. It said that most parts are not compatible between 2005-2008 model and 2009-2012 models. It does not list any parts for the 2005-2008 model though.

mtbr member
    What parts are you looking for?

I have a 2008 Reba (Race or SL- i can't remember) and it is super easy to do service. I 2006-2008 are the same. 2009 i believe started with a bulge somewhere in the lowers, different offset, and a few other changes. YouTube is your friend and the manuals. Here is the technical manual for 2008 (i think its the same for yours).

Here are the YouTube vids.

Lower leg removal

mtbr member
    Dual Air Service

mtbr member
    Motion Control (MoCo) Service

mtbr member
    Lower leg installation

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am looking for a service kit. There has never been service done on this fork, I am sure some of the seals inside should be replaced. Thanks for the videos!

mtbr member
    You will know if they need to be replaced if they are seeping oil from one side to the other, or, by visual inspection. I find more often than not, just some fresh oil is enough to return performance.

And i think Niagra might have the dual air kits here and the MoCo kits here .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My shock seems to do very little dampening so as someone said above, oil probably leaked internally? Anyway as long as I am tearing it down I might as well have the seals to replace. The kits are cheap Oh and thanks for all your help!