mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Help!! Manitou Skareb Damping Oil

Hi All

Hopefully you can help!

I've recently got a Manitou Skareb Elite fork with SPV (non-evo) 2004. There seems to be a distinct lack of damping and the fork tops out very easily - dropping off a curb etc.

I've taken it apart and there didn't appear to be any damping oil. Managed to grab a load of guides but they are all conflicting - does anyone know how much oil needs to be put into the SPV side of the fork? I have 5wt suspension fluid and 5w40 for bath oil (16cc in each leg).

Any help would be great as the manuals only mention bath oil volume.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by A7X88 View Post
    Hi All

Hopefully you can help!

I've recently got a Manitou Skareb Elite fork with SPV (non-evo) 2004. There seems to be a distinct lack of damping and the fork tops out very easily - dropping off a curb etc.

I've taken it apart and there didn't appear to be any damping oil. Managed to grab a load of guides but they are all conflicting - does anyone know how much oil needs to be put into the SPV side of the fork? I have 5wt suspension fluid and 5w40 for bath oil (16cc in each leg).

Any help would be great as the manuals only mention bath oil volume.

Thanks in advance

Adam
    e-mail manitou,.. they have great customer service and usually get back to you in a day or so at the most (but holidays and all might take longer?)
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by A7X88 View Post

I've recently got a Manitou Skareb Elite fork with SPV (non-evo) 2004.
    You don't have a Skareb Elite now.

Skareb Elite + SPV = a Skareb Platinum

Page 22 of the service manual.

The Damping Oil Level on the SPV side of the fork needs to be:

68mm to 72mm (2.7" to 2.8") below the top of the fork leg on the 80mm fork.
    or
    73mm to 77mm (2.9" to 3.0") below the top of the fork leg on the 100mm fork

* There were different Ride Kits (springs) available for the Skarebs to suit different riders weights, if you need a different spring I don't think you'll find one very easily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the help!

Luckily I think my existing ride kit is ok as the sag can be set perfectly.

Will redo the damping oil and see what happens

mtbr member
    You may also want to pull the SPV damper out and check of the valve is sticking. This is the most common reason for a lack of damping. For that here is a rough guideline (I may not have remembered it exactly) that I used when I had Minute SPV forks:
    -Undo bolts for the lowers the turn the forks rightside up
    -Slide lowers about an inch to let the oil drain
    -When drained, remove lowers
    -Undo damper end cap (this is at the bottom of the stanchions) with a cresent wrench (it's most likely plastic so don't use the death grip
    -Pull out the SPV damper, check the valves movement for stickiness (mine was a blue barrel looking device) it pushes towards the damper piston and springs back smoothly.
    -If sticking, pull the top silver piece with a hole off and a plastic bit with a spring may come out, then I used needle nosed pliers in the piston holes and unscrewed the piston from the rod. The SPV should come off, not sure if it screwed off or just pulled. The piece inside the round unit can take some grease such as Prep-M after you pull the old grease out, Q-tip or such.
    -Check for smooth movement and spring back
    -Reverese all of the above
    That's the best that I can remember, I had to do mine every year or so since the grease eventually breaks down in the damper oil. There were many threads years ago about using scuba grease and etc, but Manitou told me to use Prep-M and it worked fine. I had another grease a few years ago and it did not seam to last any longer than prep-m by YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's your SPV air pressure? When it's too low, there is no rebound damping and it knocks on top-out, so it's worth confirming that before taking the damper apart...