mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Help - Dropped fork and now travel is reduced.

Just checking to see if anyone knows what I might've done here, and what I might be looking at to get back to 140mm on a Fox Float 29 34.

Long story short, had my bike in the workstand and was dropping the fork to re-grease a clunky headset. The fork slipped and fell about 18" straight down to a concrete floor, landing straight on the bottom of the lowers. No visible damage aside from scuffs on the paint. I took care of the headset and reassembled everything, rode the bike around and all seemed fine.

However, today I noticed that the travel seems to have been reduced to around 130mm (right about 5 inches) instead of the 140mm it was at before. If I pull down on the lowers and up on the bike, there's a bit of travel that seems to be "hidden" down there, like the fork's pre-compressed with no weight on it. Aside from that, the fork feels fine as it goes through its motion.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong inside the fork, and/or what that impact might've done? Thanks.
    Last edited by rocktownrook; 11-30-2012 at 07:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Did you check the air pressure to see if somehow air came out in the mishap?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yup, the pressure's fine. if i pump it up from 70 where i normally run it, to 90 or so i gain some of the missing travel back, but not all of it.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012
    You're sure you actually lost travel? Fox forks rarely have the travel they claim to, my talas 150 bottoms out at about 145. Did you measure before the drop?
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah, i measured when it showed up to make sure the fork was set up at 140mm, and it came in right where it was supposed to. now it sits at roughly 130...strange. and like i mentioned before, the missing travel is kind of hidden, like the fork's sagged without any weight on it (i.e., you can pull/extend the fork about 1/2" from where it rests now, which you can't do with any of my other forks, though the designs are different so maybe that doesn't mean much).

it seems to ride fine, and i can get full travel out of it (at least what's there), so i guess i'll have someone look into it when it's time for the first rebuild. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bottom of the stanchions or bottom of the lowers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Bottom of the stanchions or bottom of the lowers?
    oops, meant to say it landed on the bottom of the lowers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The first thing I'd do is check the air chamber and make sure you don't have more than 5cc of oil in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    will do at some point. thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Undo the bottom nut and push the air spring up though the top. Sounds like you may have disslodged the negative spring somehow and it's not sitting in there properly? Easy to see for piece of mind.