mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Help Choosing An XC Fork

Another one of these threads!

I'm looking for a solid, middle-of-the-road XC fork. I ride single track, nothing to crazy as well as on road around town.

My ideal requirements are:
    -80mm or 100mm travel
    -Less than 4.5 lbs.
    -$350 or less
    -Lockout
    -For 26" wheels
    -Disc mounts (don't mind having removable v-brake mounts)
    -Remote lockout or option for remote lockout would be nice

Two promising forks seem to be the Rockshox Recon Gold RL and the Manitou Minute Expert. Managed to find the Recon w/ Poploc for $360 and the Minute for $280.

Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Subaru_Nation555; 04-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does it have to be new? Im sure you can find a nice used Rockshox Reba or similar fork on ebay or forum classifieds. Just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Minute Expert. I picked up a 2011 last season and I love it. The Absolute+ damper can be tuned to however you like it (if you're into fiddling with it), and Manitou's customer service is great.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Too_Fast_46 View Post
    Minute Expert. I picked up a 2011 last season and I love it. The Absolute+ damper can be tuned to however you like it (if you're into fiddling with it), and Manitou's customer service is great.
    This is probably the best fork for your money, and it fits into your requirements

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Too_Fast_46 View Post
    X3.. better than most others in that price range.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I would also recommend Minute Expert for the reasons mentioned here: Need help with forks

ODP
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just purchased a Recon Gold RL and it's a stellar performer! Seems to be under-rated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just got a RockShox Sid XX World Cup on Ebay for $500 ($1000 fork). Not a scratch on it and never used. Rides amazing!!!!!! So, if you are purchasing with cash, definitely look into buying used. Just take into consideration that it may need to be serviced. That's only like $60 though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you want 80mm, Huck n roll has the Magura Durin for $350 and lower if you find it on Chainlove. I had a 100mm bike and put on a 120mm..didn't like it, so don't assume 100mm is the way to go if your bike originally spec'd lower.

For $250-$300 I have seen lightly used or new old stock Manitou Minute Pros and Roc Shox Rebas on auction. I'd try and hold out if you can. In some ways buying a lightly used fork is not so bad....I bought it cut to the right length with a star nut installed so it was quick and easy to get it mounted on my bike.

mtbr member
    I picked up a 2011 rockshox Reba R@ for $319 on Blue Sky cycling a few months ago. About 3.5 lbs. go on sale their pretty frequently. Good fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk