mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well Headshok Fatty Ultra DL compressing under lockout?

I just replaced the stem on my Headshok Fatty DL. The process was quite straightforward, I thought - unscrew the bolt holding the lockout lever, remove the lever, replace the stem, replace the lever, screw the bolt back.

However, when I checked to see if everything was working fine, I locked out the fork, but when I compressed it, it moved a bit. About 5mm, I'd say, but for the life of me I can't recall this happening before. Is it normal for Fatty to compress a bit under lockout, or have I managed to mess something up somehow? Now I'm really confused. I didn't even think there was anything I could mess up by just replacing the stem :/

mtbr member
    5mm sounds like a lot, but my 2010 Quick CX with that same headshok (80mm, right?) definitely does move a smidge when it's locked out. You can feel a soft clunk if you ride around in a parking lot and go over small imperfections. It's done that since new.

However, I do remember that there's also something weird about the top end of the steerer tube. I can't recall the details because I haven't touched mine in 3 years, and only did it once when I replaced my stem, but it seems to me like there isn't a standard star nut. Perhaps others can chime in...

mtbr member
    No standard star but, the stem just clamps on.

Some of the headshoks I've done have had a slight clunk, regardless of whether there's air in the damper or not. It's annoying. All of them have a very speed sensitive lockout though, with the convex shim in the compression unit requiring a firm hit in order to flatten out and close the circuit. Sounds like you might need a damper service though.

- joel
    Cycling is Serious Business.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you for the replies, guys. Well, turns out that the two events were not related after all - I was just about to go for a ride when I noticed that some oil leaked from the fork, just below the boot. I tried locking out the fork, only to realize that the fork now had something like 15mm of travel when locked out! :S

I had all the seals and oil replaced just a month ago and only went for two short rides since. The service came with a 1-year warranty so I plan to visit the shop next week and see what they have to say. This definitely seems like the seals would be the culprit, right? :/