mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Headshok Fatty SL Help

I have a 1999 Cannondale F1000 hardtail with a Fatty SL Headshok that needs to either be fixed or replaced. Is the shock repairable? By local shop or at C'dale? Can I replace with another brand shock? How?? Except for the shock, this bike is still in great conditon and I still regularly race & win my age division with it so I'm not ready to replace the whole bike yet. Any help would be greatly appeciated! I rarely do my own work on the bike so any technical advice you give, you'll need to explain to me in the simplest terminology possible!!!

Former Bike Wrench
    Two options

1) Take it to a Cannondale LBS, they can often service them or send them back to C'dale for servicing.

2) Use adapters and run a standard 1 1/8" headset and suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It should be servicable but in the event it can't be, you can go with a conventional fork (using an adapter as noted above) or even a Lefty which is the successor to the Fatty Headshok. Mid to lower end Lefties are on eBay quite frequently.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the info. I'll look into the C'dale LBS in my area. I am an hour from C'dale's HQ in Connecticut. Maybe a local shop has a relationship with them and will have them fix if they can't fix themselves. I will look into new/used forks too.

What amount of weight gain should I anticipate in going with a traditional susp fork?

I know there are tons of brands of susp forks out there - - any you know of that will be easier to install as a replacement; or once I install the adapter all brands will pretty much work?