Kick Start My Heart

New question here. Has anyone ever REALLY had their warranty voided for 'to much fork'?

Not trying to raise a fuss, or cause a scene, but I've been on these boards a while, and I've heard more than once: 'You want to be careful picking a fork with XXX travel, it may void your warranty', question is: Has that ever happened?
    Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think I have have ever seen a thread,: 'Stupid *company name here* voided my warranty!!!'
    I am all in agreeance on choosing the correct fitment, and maintaining rideable geometry and the whole bit. I'm not even in the market for a fork, I was just wondering.

What?
    I had to warranty a couple frames in the past and they always ask for a picture of the bike. If they see an XC bike with a 150mm fork on it and want to be jerks, I could see them voiding the warranty. Even if its not the head tube that cracks.

mtbr member
    Ive seen very very few snapped head tube posts period, and all of them were on older/beat to hell long travel bikes using the approved length fork anyway. They're usually not a surprise to the user either, stuff like huge drops to flats repeatedly until failure.

I think the issue isnt that big of a deal. You're more likely to break a head tube on a 80mm fork doing drops to flat on an xc bike than trail riding a 150mm fork on a xc bike.

What?
    I Personally think its a no no to put long forks on bikes bikes based on the geometry changes, not the stresses. That said, I dont see it doing damage unless its abused or a crazy change. Like I said in my first post, if the manufacturer see's it, they will have the right to void the warranty. It will be up to their discretion whether they would decide to void it or not.

mtbr member
    Most warranty decisions are snap judgments made by the person making the call. I have seen SO much stuff warrantied because the company likes the shop I'm in or because they have decided that warrantying stuff is good customer service.

The short answer to your questions is: yes. It has happened before. Is it likely to happen to you? I'm the guy who routinely swaps between 5" and 7" forks on 6" and 7" bikes with no regard other than how the bike rides.

Keep a good relationship with your local dealer (BIKE dealer, that is) and you should be good to experiment.

Much like others, I would just worry about your safety and how the bike rides.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com