mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Grease for use in air-shocks

does someon know what grease (type, product) is typically used for air-shock/forks (air chamber, seals, etc.)? The stuff that usually comes stock is very thin and clear, reminds me of jelly, and i never came across this type of grease commercially.

I want to perform maintenance on my fork/shock, and make sure i use the correct grease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Most manufactures have their own specific lube - Float Fluid, Red Rum, Prep-M etc. I went to my LBS and bought some Pedro's Synthetic lube I use on most of my suspension products. You should be able to order or purchase from your LBS an equivalent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have float fluid around, but it is liquid. The stuff i mean is a grease, best described as 'slime'.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    0wt synthetic grease. Like I said each manufacture has their specific lube they use and recommend. There are all sorts of lubes / greases available online or from you LBS but I don't recall many "universal suspension specific greases". I have used 0wt synthetic grease ,Pedro's grease, Prep-M etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Slick Honey is what 99% of the population uses.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Several manufacturers recommend oil for lubing the air can and seals. What shock do you have?

THAT guy
    +1 on Slick Honey, great stuff. But if its a Fox shock just use the "pillow pack".
    With forks you will also need the correct fork oil and shouldn't open it up until you have read the servicing instructions for your fork model.
    Bikes:
    2010 Spec Enduro comp.
    2013 Specialized Demo 8 (build)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I want to service a rock shox revelation (rl). The service manual simply says 'grease' for the air chamber - no mention what type of grease exactly. I have slick honey available, guess i will use that.

Would someone recommend using oil in the air chamber?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.BL View Post
    I want to service a rock shox revelation (rl). The service manual simply says 'grease' for the air chamber - no mention what type of grease exactly. I have slick honey available, guess i will use that.

I've rebuilt my Dual-Air Rev a few times. I always use Slick Honey for the air chamber (o-rings, pistons, etc), and for grease in general on forks/shocks. Never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    No oil in the air chamber (filling from the top), just a small amount of oil in the lowers.

Slick Honey works great, use that since you've already got it. The red grease that comes in RS forks from the factory is Liquid O-Ring PM600. Universal Cycles -- Sram PitStop PM600 Military Grease
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    The red grease that comes in RS forks from the factory is Liquid O-Ring PM600. Universal Cycles -- Sram PitStop PM600 Military Grease
    Thanks for that info, thats what i was looking for.

mtbr member
    Older forks required oil in the chamber to lubricate the seals but most forks have moved on to grease now. Lighter and more reliable.

You can still put small amounts of oil in the upper chamber to affect the progression of your fork. IE, have a fork that is too linear and you want it more progressive, add 5cc of 15wt oil to the top chamber. A little oil goes a long way up top.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Compared to Slick Honey, this product will last twice as long in suspension applications. Plus, since it is silicon based, it is less damaging to the environment. Try this experiment if you don’t believe me. Use Dow 33 on the seal on one side of the fork and slick honey on the other. Ride the fork for 100 hours or so, then dis-assemble the fork and compare the amount of Dow33 that remains against the absence of slick honey on the other seal. Dow 33 also works for repacking bearings, pivots, cables, building wheels, and many other household applications.

MOLYKOTE® 33 EXTREME LOW TEMP. BEARING GREASE, LIGHT