Thread: Gran Fondo 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Gran Fondo 3

My friend has a gran fondo 3 on his Kona Dawg, and weighs ~135lbs. The fork is way too firm, even with well below the spec air pressure in each leg. Is there a way to rebuild the fork for a light weight rider?

If he decides to replace this fork (tight on money right now), what would be something that could take some harder hits and will work for someone of his weight? I've been looking on Price Point and some of the Marz AM series forks. He also currently has IS Mount brakes, but I'm sure there is an adaptor somewhere to take care of that if it becomes a problem. He is into free ride type riding, drops 6' or so to tranny.

Thinking a Marzocchi AM 1 ETA 130mm
    Last edited by TXPhisher; 02-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Freeride is probably too much for a GF3, however, first focus on sag, not recommeded air pressure.

Marzocchi rates the intended use of the GF3 as Trecking: http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...usa-mtb&Y=2006

Marzocchi defines Trecking as: "Trekking is similar to XC riding, but
    less aggressive. It involves riding at a slower
    pace and not riding over obstacles such as
    rocks, roots, and depressions..."

Marzocchi recommends a sag of 15-20% of maximum travel for XC forks.

There may be a softer spring available for the GF3, but this may take you some searching on their website to verify.

ay Diablo!
    As a disclaimer your fork isn't designed for free ride purposes.
    But to get it plusher and to use full travel, open the fork up and remove some of the oil in both legs. Since your friend is so light, the fork is over filled for his weight. The oil level should be below 50mm and no lower then 60mm below the bottom of the threads at the top of the stanchions, when the fork is completely compressed (botttomed out).
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/