mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Gotta Ditch the V-Brakes

So I am a newby. I have read a few posts but need some solid build advise. I have an 06 specialized hard tail. I have upgraded everything to xt or xtr. Now I need to upgrade the fork. It is a stock judy j3. I have xt hubs and mavic rims. I understnad that I need to change out my rim and hub to get a disc brake setup in the front. My question is what will a new hub disc, caliper and good shock run me? I can spend up to a thousand. I am not apposed to used stuff but need part numbers etc. I would like to stick to xt quality or above if possible. What's a good fork for this baby? I like to do xc and mogul style dirt stuff.
    I know I should just get a new bike but upgrading is still cheaper at this point.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a 2003 Rock shox Sid SL fork for 70 on ebay in near mint condition(other than the oil change and seals I just put in . The Sid series has served me well for years and years (just don't beat on it like a freerider). The wheels can be pricier at around 150-250 for decent disc ready sets. Individually the front wheel can be had for cheaper depending on what is available at the time(the nature of used). I would personally reccomend sealed cartridge hubs such that Mavic and a few other brands use for the simplistic maintenance(and long intervals). With the right searching and luck you can score them pretty cheap too. I picked up my Mavic UST tubeless set for 35 at a swap meet because there was a cosmetic blem on the sidewall. Not the first and not the last, lol.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Are the sids lighter than the judy series?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deloreantyme View Post
    Are the sids lighter than the judy series?
    Very much lighter. The J3's are almost a boat anchor in comparison to a SID.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!