Thread: Golden Spectro?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Golden Spectro?

As oils go, how is the Golden Spectro? About $18 per liter on Jenson.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Man, I'm no good with metric stuff. That's no bargain.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    As oils go, how is the Golden Spectro? About $18 per liter on Jenson.
    Plus S/H! Complete rip off! Get it at a local ATV/offroad motorcycle shop. I paid $9 for a quart just a few months ago at my local shop. Most brands sell for about the same price as that except maybe Red Line which is twice that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Right, I've read that before. Local moto shop, all the way. I was just led astray by my American high school education and the complete lack of sense for metric measurement that flows from it.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    Right, I've read that before. Local moto shop, all the way. I was just led astray by my American high school education and the complete lack of sense for metric measurement that flows from it.
    Ahh, I follow you now. A quart and a liter (litre) are about the same amount.

1 US quart = 0.94635295 liters

banned
    It's difficult for me to obtain locally and I called Spectro and tehy were no help in getting it to me. I bought mine from Universal Cycles with a price match from Beyond Bikes for like 11 or 14 bucks or something.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    It's difficult for me to obtain locally and I called Spectro and tehy were no help in getting it to me. I bought mine from Universal Cycles with a price match from Beyond Bikes for like 11 or 14 bucks or something.
    http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

You may have seen this info but if not scroll down near the bottom. many fluids in actuality are nearly exactly the same as other major brands of different claimed weights, and for example, Rock Shox 15W oil is actually made by Torco and is TFF7W (if I remember correctly), so that's what I bought for my Pike locally. Later I used Red Line.

And here is a link showing how to mix Red Line for a needed application.
    http://www.pvdwiki.com/images/7/7f/R..._Mix_Chart.pdf

Maybe this will help expand your options.

banned
    Yeah, I've used other fluids for years. It was only recently I had to use Spectro for a specialized rebuild of a Lefty that required it. The fork was too overdamped with other substitutes.